Nurse arrested for not drawing blood...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you freaking serious? She did NOT ask to be unlawfully battered and detained against her will. What the officer did was a crime and "I was just following orders" is NOT a legal defense. It flat doesn't matter that the blood draw would be tossed as unlawfully obtained. She was 100% right and within her lawful rights. She defended an unconscious man from a criminal assault. The officer was 100% wrong and should've backed down. Far too many civil rights violations flow from "you will respect my authority" actions and that's exactly what happened here.

I can't believe I'm having to defend this wronged nurse on a rights centric forum. :disappoin
I never said she did, I just said she decided to it was worth getting arrested for, regardless if the cop was right or wrong.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cop was going to draw the blood himself, he was "a trained police phlebotomist". She just told him no.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...s-her-for-doing-her-job/ar-AAr4UTh?li=BBnb7Kz

Salt Lake police spokesman Sgt. Brandon Shearer told local media that Payne had been suspended from the department’s blood draw unit but remained on active duty. Shearer said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown had seen the video and called it “very alarming,” according to the Deseret News.

A neighboring police department sent Payne, a trained police phlebotomist, to collect blood from the patient and check for illicit substances, as the Tribune reported. The goal was reportedly to protect the trucker, who was not suspected of a crime. His lieutenant ordered him to arrest Wubbels if she refused to let him draw a sample, according to the Tribune.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
look I am a realist, I know she was doing her job. all I am saying is you do your job to point. after that point, you have to decide if it is worth getting arrested for. she decided it was worth it. if she did not draw the blood the next person would, so getting arrested was pointless.

JD8, please try to be an adult and try not to insult me. I am just stating an opinion.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cop was going to draw the blood himself, he was "a trained police phlebotomist". She just told him no.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...s-her-for-doing-her-job/ar-AAr4UTh?li=BBnb7Kz

Salt Lake police spokesman Sgt. Brandon Shearer told local media that Payne had been suspended from the department’s blood draw unit but remained on active duty. Shearer said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown had seen the video and called it “very alarming,” according to the Deseret News.

A neighboring police department sent Payne, a trained police phlebotomist, to collect blood from the patient and check for illicit substances, as the Tribune reported. The goal was reportedly to protect the trucker, who was not suspected of a crime. His lieutenant ordered him to arrest Wubbels if she refused to let him draw a sample, according to the Tribune.

Yep. Unable to give consent, not under arrest, no warrant, not even suspected of a crime. But by God, if I don't get his blood someones going to jail...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
look I am a realist, I know she was doing her job. all I am saying is you do your job to point. after that point, you have to decide if it is worth getting arrested for. she decided it was worth it. if she did not draw the blood the next person would, so getting arrested was pointless.

JD8, please try to be an adult and try not to insult me. I am just stating an opinion.

This has nothing to do with being a realist. lol. You obviously have no clue as to what was happening and are backtracking. You said she deserved it. How? Nurses take oaths similar to doctors, so she was just has the integrity of what she signed up for. In terms of patient care and information and privacy, they deal with it daily.

TO clarify, SHE was not going to draw the blood.....HE was, as he's a trained phlebotomist. SHE didn't say arrest me, she merely argued and disagreed with a LEO citing a policy and the law. She had her supervisor on the phone and relaying what he was saying, again... doing her job.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Unable to give consent, not under arrest, no warrant, not even suspected of a crime. But by God, if I don't get his blood someones going to jail...

Understand too that the truck driver that was defended by the nurse was injured in a crash that happened during the course of a police pursuit; the driver also had already been given pain meds after arriving at the hospital. There was a motive of some kind involved.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understand too that the truck driver that was defended by the nurse was injured in a crash that happened during the course of a police pursuit; the driver also had already been given pain meds after arriving at the hospital. There was a motive of some kind involved.

CLEARLY the police were just trying to protect the driver from himself. What a load of bull ... that "cop" needs to go to jail. I wonder what his jacket looks like.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with being a realist. lol. You obviously have no clue as to what was happening and are backtracking. You said she deserved it. How? Nurses take oaths similar to doctors, so she was just has the integrity of what she signed up for. In terms of patient care and information and privacy, they deal with it daily.

TO clarify, SHE was not going to draw the blood.....HE was, as he's a trained phlebotomist. SHE didn't say arrest me, she merely argued and disagreed with a LEO citing a policy and the law. She had her supervisor on the phone and relaying what he was saying, again... doing her job.

don't put words in my mouth. I am not going to have a childish argument with you. therefore, until your behavior improves, carry on.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't put words in my mouth. I am not going to have a childish argument with you. therefore, until your behavior improves, carry on.

Couldn't care less what you do. Just highlighting the facts and your misunderstanding of them, if you can't engage when I point this out..... so be it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom