Obama administration proposes the elimination of shooting on public land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, a little research has led me to believe that there is no pending NPRM open for comment on this subject, but I could be wrong. As I've said before, the structure, content and poor searchability of the NPRM and most .gov websites, actively discourages finding and commenting on proposed rule changes. Outward indications are that each area where shooting is authorized or prohibited is determined on a case by case basis. It appears that this alleged 5 page document that the article failed to link to or post is a change to the internal process in which these determinations are made, which may not be subject to NPRM requirements. A NPRM posting is usually required when an agency rule will have a direct impact on the public or stakeholders of the agency. As there are no BLM lands or offices in Oklahoma, this will have a more direct impact in western states. However, if someone is interested in running this down further, I think the best place to contact is the BLM Shooting Sports Coordinator, who can be contacted at:

Frank Jenks
BLM Shooting Sports Coordinator
202-912-7249
[email protected]

Here's a link to the BLM Shooting Shooting Sports FAQ Page: http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/Re...ting_Sports_Hunting/travel_mgt__outreach.html

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Our goal is to leave lands open to shooting," said an Interior official for the Bureau of Land Management, which is drafting guidelines to deal with the growing clash between skittish urbanites moving to western wilderness areas and America's tradition of letting gun owners shoot targets on public lands.

This leads me to believe that BLM is being sincere and being ordered "from above" to stop it in any area if at all justifiably possible. Glad to hear that an earfull was had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom