OBD-1 code scanner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have a code scanner than can scan OBD-1 codes?? my 91 mustangs check engine light is on and i want to see what code its throwing. My mechanic wants $35 to see what it is.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OBD 1 for Ford is EEC-IV

I could write out a long post about how to do it, instead I will post a link that should help you out. Its easy to do, and you can follow the link to see what you need to do and how to read the flashes from the ck eng light

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think the auto parts stores will check codes on pre OBD-2. I just cant see them carrying all those different scanners, connectors, adapters and then trying to find where each manufacturer hid the plug. Pre OBD-2, most car manufacturers had their own scanners to read data/codes and the connectors were different and located in different places.

Now with OBD-2, all vehicles share the same diagnostic connector and its almost always located in the same area under the LH inst panel, and the computers communicate most of the information in the same language or protocol.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For senior 2 we had to build an OBD scanner for a 94 Eagle TSi with Matlab. The communications protocol on the buss was pretty easy, but what data was for what was a mess. Even with OBD2 they just have to have a common protocol to read and clear the required codes. They can still use whatever mess they want on the buss. They just use a converter to convert the proprietary protocol to the standard so they are in compliance.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not invest in a NAPA part number 700-1736. I think it runs $50. Sounds like you will recoup your money fairly quick. But your mechanic has invested good money in tooling. Why not support him and his profession instead of expecting him to give you something that cost him money to be able to do? I invested over $8000 in my scanner. It kind of irks me when someone at work asks me to scan their vehicle to tell them what is wrong but expect not pay me to do so. Then when they guess at what is wrong with limited diagnostics and no other testing then I am the bad guy beacuse "I told them to replace the wrong part."

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not invest in a NAPA part number 700-1736. I think it runs $50. Sounds like you will recoup your money fairly quick. But your mechanic has invested good money in tooling. Why not support him and his profession instead of expecting him to give you something that cost him money to be able to do? I invested over $8000 in my scanner. It kind of irks me when someone at work asks me to scan their vehicle to tell them what is wrong but expect not pay me to do so. Then when they guess at what is wrong with limited diagnostics and no other testing then I am the bad guy beacuse "I told them to replace the wrong part."

I understand that, yes he spent like $5,000 on diagnostics stuff, i just want to know if its a bad 02 sensor or egr valve or whatnot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom