Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that, since I didn't cape this one out! On a positive note, though, the taxidermist I use has extra capes, he had to do that for me last year with a buck that started out at another taxidermist that kinda screwed me over.
Ah, I see. Lol. Mine always wants my capes if I choose to do a European mount, so he has extras for accidents. Someone always cuts up too far, or cuts the throat or something another.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Lol. Mine always wants my capes if I choose to do a European mount, so he has extras for accidents. Someone always cuts up too far, or cuts the throat or something another.

And I am totally guilty of totally screwing up like that this year. I shot a doe, then the buck the same morning. Neighbor's kid shot a doe, so I volunteered to field dress all as they didn't know how. Two does first, and then the buck. Got into the hairy part of the brisket, and absolutely about shat myself. Called the Taxi, and he said bring it in for evaluation.
He said it was so clean of a cut he could sew it up and nobody would know the difference. Mckrosky knife. Nuff said.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never even thought about caping to bring an extra one in, even if I didn't plan on using it...still kinda new to the taxidermy game personally, only work I've had done up until 2013 was my first bobcat I called in and killed...fixing to be 4 bucks in a row that I've mounted in some form...I can promise you I never thought 10-15 years ago that I would get close to bucks that look like the last few I've killed, coming from Louisiana, there were whole years I never saw one in range to shoot, buck or doe! I killed my first deer when I was 13-14, a little 4 pt, and did not kill another one until the year after I moved to OK, at the age of 26! Just glad to get to hunt as much as I do out here!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I second the quality of McCroskey knives, after being around and hunting some with Dave, he is a helluva guy...I do need to get some made by him before the chance is passed!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Another vote for the McCroskey. My daughter has taken several deer, but the doe she took the other evening was her first to gut on her own. McCroskey made it pretty easy for her.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've traded capes for discounts on taxidermy work a few times. I kept the cape off the cull 7 point I shot in October and euro-ed the skull. He was a 250+ pound buck with a beautiful cape, and I'm considering using it on a 155" 8 point I euro mounted several years ago.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the deer doing in your areas now? With the ice we got and no electricity for several days, I was busy cutting firewood for the wood stove and havent been able to hunt in about a week. Last time I was out the bucks were cruising with their noses down lookin for does. Are they still chasing/rutting in your areas?

Latest posts

Top Bottom