Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh my answer is no... Not cruising, not chasing, not rutting not doing a damn thing but laying up all day being lazy and recovering, haven't seen even a semi shooter since last Wed and I've been out 9 of the 11 days of gun season, hunting 3 different farms 2 in Logan County and 1 in Canadian County. We passed on a zillion does and small bucks, my brother from Florida was here and we hunted through it all, crazy high winds, warm temps, ice storm, broken trees, freezing rain, 4 or 5 dark to dark sits and late nights and getting up at 4 will run you down. I passed a really good 9 I should have shot last Monday or Tuesday morning, hell I can't remember, all the days run together, but I've been kicking myself ever 4 am morning since. Brother left this morning with a new appreciation for Oklahoma weather lol, I'm skipping 2 days and will be back out Thursday-Sunday, hoping the big bucks start hitting the food plots etc by then, it has been slow, but we had a hell of a great time anyway!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uh my answer is no... Not cruising, not chasing, not rutting not doing a damn thing but laying up all day being lazy and recovering, haven't seen even a semi shooter since last Wed and I've been out 9 of the 11 days of gun season, hunting 3 different farms 2 in Logan County and 1 in Canadian County. We passed on a zillion does and small bucks, my brother from Florida was here and we hunted through it all, crazy high winds, warm temps, ice storm, broken trees, freezing rain, 4 or 5 dark to dark sits and late nights and getting up at 4 will run you down. I passed a really good 9 I should have shot last Monday or Tuesday morning, hell I can't remember, all the days run together, but I've been kicking myself ever 4 am morning since. Brother left this morning with a new appreciation for Oklahoma weather lol, I'm skipping 2 days and will be back out Thursday-Sunday, hoping the big bucks start hitting the food plots etc by then, it has been slow, but we had a hell of a great time anyway!

Nobody can say you haven't put in your time. (slow clap starts here....)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten my McCroskeys dirty! :crying:

Today was the first chance I had to get out since the day before Thanksgiving. I saw a total of six does and fawns a quarter of a mile away at 9:00 this morning. Which is six more than I saw last Wednesday!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten my McCroskeys dirty! :crying:

Today was the first chance I had to get out since the day before Thanksgiving. I saw a total of six does and fawns a quarter of a mile away at 9:00 this morning. Which is six more than I saw last Wednesday!

Your retired! You have all the time in the world to get out there! :wink2:

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I am totally guilty of totally screwing up like that this year. I shot a doe, then the buck the same morning. Neighbor's kid shot a doe, so I volunteered to field dress all as they didn't know how. Two does first, and then the buck. Got into the hairy part of the brisket, and absolutely about shat myself. Called the Taxi, and he said bring it in for evaluation. He said it was so clean of a cut he could sew it up and nobody would know the difference. Mckrosky knife. Nuff said.
Where do you get the knives you're talking about? I'm interested.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are two places I use that I used to use a pop-up on but laziness has convinced me to just setup in the fence/tree line on a wheat field and plan to shoot down along the line. It is a 100 yd shot and they (mostly does) barely look up the field (60 yd wide).

The other place is on another wheat field (160 ac). I setup behind a little pond dike. The dike hides the front part of me and ground behind me is higher so I am not silhouetted. Also have setup among hay bails and also in the middle of the 160 ac terraced field. My head is the only thing sticking up above the terrace. It sounds dumb, but does sometimes come out in the field midday to sun (late gun season or antlerless days) and then they come onto the field to eat in the evening.

Bang! Dead doe.

Any suggestions on a late season blind option? Hunting from the ground and am giving up on the pop-up wind sail.
I'm thinking some t-posts and some camo burlap. I sure liked having a shield from the wind though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom