Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we can agree that excess deaths are a cause for concern. If reasonable and affordable steps can be taken to reduce them, they should be taken. I look to medical researchers and public health officials to tell me what reasonable and affordable steps should be taken.

Concern? Sure. I think we may disagree with what's "reasonable" and "affordable" though. I have a 4 year old that is being made to wear a mask but I'm "lucky" in the fact that he can even go to school because other schools in the area have gone virtual. We are fine, but most normal people can't afford to either take off work, school their own kids, or fund more child care. I'm not so sure that the pros of what is being done, outweighs the cons for that 85%.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Everything is relative, what or how much is "excess" when every living person on the face of the Earth will die at some point? Should the phrase "unnecessary death" even exist? Aren't all deaths necessary at some point? We may or may not agree with the timing, but death is guaranteed for everyone. Each person is responsible for themselves, those that take care of themselves and those that don't, those that die at the hands of someone else is still necessary, it just doesn't meet the expected time-line or method that we want. Half of Americans are way over thinking the inevitable.

In the last few years years I've been to the funeral of a 103yo man and a 2 day old infant. Both lived out their life on this Earth until they were supposed to, no more no less. The 103yo saw war time, the deaths of every family member and close friend that he knew, watched his physical body deteriorate beyond normal use, mind was sharp to the end. The 2 day old had complications at birth, parents knew before birth that the days would be limited, they treasured every minute they could. The next hour of life isn't guaranteed for anyone, with or without covid so quit being a "deather" and be a "liver" while your here. Hiding at home isn't living no matter your health conditions.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An epidemic and the public policy associated with it are sure to generate unhappiness. I do not agree with all the public policies being implemented. I lean towards low cost measures that allow for reopenings.

But having said that I suggest we all grant the public health experts some measure of respect. Public health and epidemiology are complex subjects that require a wide breadth of knowledge and specialized facility with statistics that every person posting here lacks. Have politicians gone overboard in California and New York etc? Certainly. Have public health authorities changed their opinions? Yes, and this is because fresh data has become available in a changing situation....A good analogy would be the fog of war.

Beware of throwing the baby out with the bathwater....I hear some in other threads essentially saying it is all political nonsense that we should ignore. They are mistaken.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But having said that I suggest we all grant the public health experts some measure of respect. Public health and epidemiology are complex subjects that require a wide breadth of knowledge and specialized facility with statistics that every person posting here lacks. Have politicians gone overboard in California and New York etc? Certainly. Have public health authorities changed their opinions? Yes, and this is because fresh data has become available in a changing situation....A good analogy would be the fog of war.
Yes, since now we know Fauci was in cahoots with the Chinese, we should listen and trust Public health experts everywhere.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An epidemic and the public policy associated with it are sure to generate unhappiness. I do not agree with all the public policies being implemented. I lean towards low cost measures that allow for reopenings.

Beware of throwing the baby out with the bathwater....I hear some in other threads essentially saying it is all political nonsense that we should ignore. They are mistaken.

The only issue I have with all this is that the "medical professionals" seem to have been constantly flipping their recommendations. Fauci originally was saying that Covid was nothing to worry about, then it was. Masks were necessary but then they weren't.

Sorry, but I take all "medical professionals" with a grain of salt, just like most other sources of advice.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding Fauci - Changing your mind in the face of new information is the right thing to do. Likewise it is generally best to suggest people remain calm. I try not to Monday morning quarterback. Both the future and medicine involve uncertainty but following the doctor's advice is generally the wise thing to do.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding Fauci - Changing your mind in the face of new information is the right thing to do. Likewise it is generally best to suggest people remain calm. I try not to Monday morning quarterback. Both the future and medicine involve uncertainty but following the doctor's advice is generally the wise thing to do.
Thus a grain of salt like @TerryMiller said.
And Fauci has been exposed for being in cahoots with the chinese

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I've read that he played a role in getting funding for the research that was done at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. I would not go so far as to call him a co-conspirator... even though some internet sources have "put him on trial" and found him guilty.

Countless officials and business people have worked on joint projects with the Chinese over the past several decades....it was supposed to help them modernize and democratize their society....The democracy part failed miserably.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LMAO
Okay, wait n see
If he was working with them, he knew China had a pandemic long before the American people did. And you think that doesnt make him a co-conspirator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom