OK Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got out of the truck, and in just over 500 miles today, I didn't see a single deer and can count the road kills on one hand (all were on the south end).

I did get a decent 4 year old 9 point I've been watching all fall in the daylight this evening, but other than a couple spikes, all the buck activity is at night.

I've got a lot of work to get done in a short amount of time, so I won't be hunting in the morning but probably will tomorrow evening, Sunday, and maybe Monday morning.
Amazing. Between my home and where I hunt, there are 5 deer dead on the side of the road. One buck, the rest does. 45 miles.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing. Between my home and where I hunt, there are 5 deer dead on the side of the road. One buck, the rest does. 45 miles.

I've got a Ranch Hand front end replacement on my truck, so I'm "prepared" in case a deer decides to commit suicide. I was still on high alert tonight after I turned on Hwy 11 at Blackwell. That's usually a pretty target rich environment for suicidal deer this time of the year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Ranch Hand front end replacement on my truck, so I'm "prepared" in case a deer decides to commit suicide. I was still on high alert tonight after I turned on Hwy 11 at Blackwell. That's usually a pretty target rich environment for suicidal deer this time of the year.
LOL, yes it is.
The traveling bucks will commence shortly. I've never seen a good buck dead on the side of the road. Typically yearlings.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been out filling feeders, changing camera batteries, and "scouting" this morning, and I found a few scrapes but not many.

I was planning to try to hunt the next two weekends too, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. My wife just called to tell me her sister and BIL are coming to town next weekend, and my daughter DID qualify for the state gymnastics meet which is the opening weekend of rifle season. I better fling a bolt at something this trip, because with family activities and work picking up, this may be my last hunt of the year.:cry11:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was planning to try to hunt the next two weekends too, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. My wife just called to tell me her sister and BIL are coming to town next weekend, and my daughter DID qualify for the state gymnastics meet which is the opening weekend of rifle season. I better fling a bolt at something this trip, because with family activities and work picking up, this may be my last hunt of the year.:cry11:

Ouch. I have to go out of town for work next week, so I'm stuck at home this weekend. It's rough seeing people taking about chasing and I'm on the couch.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sat from before sun up till noon today and didn't see a single deer. I did see a small doe cross the road when I turning down the road to my spot.....

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sat from 6:30am to 7pm (thank goodness for iPhones and kindle), saw 3 early morning, 1 by itself and 2 together. They were 70 yards away and about 30 yards into the woods on the edge of the plot, so I couldn't get a good look to see the sex, but now they were fawns like I saw all last night. At 6:15 I had a 2.5 year old come out into plot 80 yards away, I grunted and he froze, then went back to the way he came. 15 mins later I had another buck (not sure if it was the same one) and came up from behind me, he eventually spooked but as slow as he was moving he wouldn't have made it to shooting range before dark anyways. It was a long day to see so little, but the weather was great and almost 0 wind. Just hoping to get another doe in the morning for the freezer.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 mature does came in tonight but did not eat. They headed to the clover patch and the protein feeder instead. Made a ladder for a shooting house today. I'm gona finish it tomorrow in time for the cold snap later in the week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom