OKC gun show dealer caught with felony conviction, selling stolen weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he was buying guns off the Interwebs, I wonder if he has an account here on OSA? I would like to see more detail as to where on the Internet that he bought guns. I'm sure it was just probably Craigsist, but it would be funny if he bought one from the Classified ads at NewsOK.

I hope that the "fully automatic assault weapons" was just a mis-statement and gets corrected. Of course, the anti-gun crowd will never see the correction and will just run with it that he was selling "fully automatic assault weapons" at a gun show ...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The original article on KFOR said that OKCPD officials said he was a vendor at the show and was selling those items at the show.

They updated that line in the article at 6:23PM to say "...he was selling weapons at the show but they found an even larger arsenal at the man’s home."

KFOR - reliable reporting as always.

They are always there with the most shocking headlines imaginable. And what an imagination they have.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well good riddance. This guy is a nuisance. Buying guns and ammo and reselling them for a premium. He is doing all of this illegally and stories like this will ruin it for the rest of us law abiding gun owners. Hope he gets a good punishment to hopefully discourage others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
An off-duty police officer was working security at the gun show when he noticed a man acting strangely. The man brought in a firearm to sell and when the off-duty officer checked his information, the officer found the man was a convicted felon, according to the incident report...

Britt told officers he bought the weapons on the Internet and sold them at gun shows for a higher price, Nelson said.

“The investigation is continuing to see just how much and how many weapons Mr. Britt has sold in the past,” Nelson said. “This is just one example of one of the huge loopholes that are in the gun laws that allow convicted felons and persons that should not acquire firearms to buy and sell firearms at a gun show.”

Because the law does not require individuals to conduct background checks when buying or selling guns at a gun show or online, police assume instances like Britt’s happen more often than not...

http://newsok.com/police-accuse-con...ell-gun-at-oklahoma-city-show/article/3939832

So an off duty cop can ask your name casually and run your name all because you were walking around a gunshow looking "strangely"???

How does an off duty policeman run a name? Do you just call dispatch and say hey this is officer JBT, run a background on John Q Citizen, hes acting strange. Or do ya call a buddy who is on duty and say hey im at a gun show and this guy is acting strange, I got his name and info, can ya run it thru the ncic or something and see what ya find?

Something sounds a little fishy.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So an off duty cop can ask your name casually and run your name all because you were walking around a gunshow looking "strangely"???

How does an off duty policeman run a name? Do you just call dispatch and say hey this is officer JBT, run a background on John Q Citizen, hes acting strange. Or do ya call a buddy who is on duty and say hey im at a gun show and this guy is acting strange, I got his name and info, can ya run it thru the ncic or something and see what ya find?

Something sounds a little fishy.

A cop can ask you your name for any reason he wants. Question is, are you lawfully required to answer. In most cases, the answer is no, you do not have to answer nor provide any ID (if you're driving a vehicle that's a different story). The only way a cop can force you to answer is if he has reasonable suspicion to believe you may have committed a crime. The deal is, the cops know exactly what constitutes "reasonable suspicion ". In the vast majority of cases, if a cop says he had reasonable suspicion , a judge is not going to disagree.
As far as calling for a check, a cop is never "off duty". He can always call and have a check ran.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A concern that's bigger than the turd that got caught, is who dropped the dime on him? A concerned citizen or a sting by OKCPD? And if so, did they allow him to buy/ sell enough to make sure the charges stick. If they (Police) allowed him to sell firearms in the process of making their case and were unable to get them back, would they bear some responsibility if someone was shot by one of the guns?

Glad he's out of the gun business, but wonder if it's more of an attempt to make news of, and a case for elimination of the dreaded face to face "Gunshow Loophole" sales.

Follow the white rabbit.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The picture that was shown today had a lot of the bulk pack .22lr stuff. I bet that made up a huge amount of the 33,000 rounds. Plus I bet he is one of the people who is buying a lot of the .22lr stuff just to sell it at 2x-3x more than he paid for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom