oklahoma coal mines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've slept several times since I've worked eastern OK, but I seem to recall that the some tribes withheld coal and gas associated with coal from their patents when they allotted or sold land (they kept those particular minerals, whatever they were).

It varies between tribes and the McGirt decision may not even pertain at all. There's a lot more going on that what this article states, but I can definitely see the state trying to horn in on them. If there's a dime to be captured it seems the state will go after it whether or not they are entitled to it.

I'll also state that I've always been baffled as to just how McGirt only applies to criminal law and not civil. The tribes are a sovereign or they aren't. So which is it? :scratch:

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it works anything like oil and gas, you deal with the BLM, you also have a BIA contact but you can email or call and leave messages and never receive any acknowledgement that you exist.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it works anything like oil and gas, you deal with the BLM, you also have a BIA contact but you can email or call and leave messages and never receive any acknowledgement that you exist.
Yep, unless it is the Osage tribe. I dont believe they let the BLM handle their business like the other tribes do.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've slept several times since I've worked eastern OK, but I seem to recall that the some tribes withheld coal and gas associated with coal from their patents when they allotted or sold land (they kept those particular minerals, whatever they were).

It varies between tribes and the McGirt decision may not even pertain at all. There's a lot more going on that what this article states, but I can definitely see the state trying to horn in on them. If there's a dime to be captured it seems the state will go after it whether or not they are entitled to it.

I'll also state that I've always been baffled as to just how McGirt only applies to criminal law and not civil. The tribes are a sovereign or they aren't. So which is it? :scratch:
Stitt has made it his priority 😡

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet once again, never a word about the millions of $$ the BIA owed the tribe (Choctaws) from the pre-80s. Much like the way Iraq was going to pay for our (The US's) war effort with oil. Never to be mentioned again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom