Oklahoma congressman refused entrance to see Ft Sill illegals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rep. Jim Bridenstine, R-Okla., says he was denied access to facility at Fort Sill housing up to 1,200 unaccompanied children - @RepJBridenstine

Congressman Bridenstine Denied Access to UAC Housing at Ft. Sill
Jul 2, 2014
Press Release
Washington, DC, July 2, 2014 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Congressman Jim Bridenstine (OK) was denied access yesterday to the HHS facility at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma currently housing up to 1,200 unaccompanied alien children (UAC) who illegally crossed the southern border into the United States.

Congressman Bridenstine said, “There is no excuse for denying a Federal Representative from Oklahoma access to a federal facility in Oklahoma where unaccompanied children are being held. Any Member of Congress should have the legal authority to visit a federal youth detention facility without waiting three weeks."

The Health and Human Services (HHS) official who appears to be in charge of the facility told Congressman Bridenstine he could schedule an appointment for July 21. HHS Deputy Director of the Office of Public Affairs, Ken Wolfe, would not take the Congressman's phone call. The Congressman was told to send Mr. Wolfe an email as that was the preferred method of communication. Congressman Bridenstine's email to Mr. Wolfe included this press release.

“After my visit today with the base commander, I approached the barracks where the children are housed. A new fence has been erected by HHS, completely surrounding the barracks and covered with material to totally obscure the view. Every gate is chained closed.

“I approached a security guard and asked to speak with the manager of the facility. The guard called his supervisor who said no visitors were allowed. I asked if they were aware that I am a Member of Congress. Eventually the manager came out and said that I would have to go through HHS legislative affairs and that the first chance to visit would be July 21st.

“What are they trying to hide? Do they not want the children to speak with Members of Congress? As a Navy pilot, I have been involved in operations countering illicit human trafficking. I would like to know to whom these children are being released."

Ft. Sill is one of three facilities in the U.S. currently housing the unaccompanied alien children. The Administration policy is that after they are apprehended on the border by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the children are transferred to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for transport, and then placed in the custody of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) until released to a so-called “sponsor” in the U.S.

http://bridenstine.house.gov/media-c...ing-at-ft-sill

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a side note, the military has almost nothing to do with these unaccompanied children beyond providing a facility and ensuring basic utility hook up/servicable conditions, etc. at the time of handover. The Army was tasked to provide facilities at Ft Sill and did so - all the internal functioning is HHS responsibility.

Separately, as a US citizen, I am amazed at the short-sighted behavior of HHS in obstructing Congressmen from viewing these facilities and when they do allow them to view making it a dog and pony show and restricting elected officials' ability to talk to the refugees directly. The inevitable impression is that HHS is trying to hide something. They may be able to do this for a while but the backlash could be bad - remember the President may direct the Executive Branch but Congress funds it.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really?????

Why doesn't he try again...except this time...take the State Adjutant General with him. I'd like to see them stop the State A.G.

Heck, why doesn't he take some Oklahoma National Guard and Air Guard top brass with him??

Use some muscle, if he's denied, call out the National Guard and block Fort Sill...nothing gets in or out.

Did you see where citizens in California blocked some of the buses and they turned around and went back to Arizona!!!

Man up and use the Guard, Oklahoma Top Brass and the State A.G. Hell, the law is broken on illegal immigrants, tax money is wasted on NON-CITIZENS, and if you call the Guard out...I'm sure it will make national news. Obummer amd friends will back down...plus it might set a standard for other states to try.

State A.G. and the Guard...start a sh! t storm in the name of our broken and ignored laws.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
something stinks really bad about this. "Sure Mr Bridenstine, you can come back in 3 weeks when we have things the way we want you to see them."

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really?????

Why doesn't he try again...except this time...take the State Adjutant General with him. I'd like to see them stop the State A.G.

Heck, why doesn't he take some Oklahoma National Guard and Air Guard top brass with him??

Use some muscle, if he's denied, call out the National Guard and block Fort Sill...nothing gets in or out.

Did you see where citizens in California blocked some of the buses and they turned around and went back to Arizona!!!

Man up and use the Guard, Oklahoma Top Brass and the State A.G. Hell, the law is broken on illegal immigrants, tax money is wasted on NON-CITIZENS, and if you call the Guard out...I'm sure it will make national news. Obummer amd friends will back down...plus it might set a standard for other states to try.

State A.G. and the Guard...start a sh! t storm in the name of our broken and ignored laws.

If you ever decide to run, you have my vote! :thumbup3:

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“After my visit today with the base commander, I approached the barracks where the children are housed. A new fence has been erected by HHS, completely surrounding the barracks and covered with material to totally obscure the view. Every gate is chained closed.

What?!!?! I thought fences wouldn't work? How is it that fences and guards work here in Oklahoma, but they won't work on the border? Magic?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why should he be allowed to circumvent the rules the rest of us would be required to follow?

We preach that all the time don't we? He's a member of Congress. He holds no special privilege or authority in this matter, even if we agree with his position on the situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom