Oklahoma TV weatherman vilified for tornado advice Mike Morgan slammed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough call. With an F-5 tornado, structures do not provide enough protection. The dangers of fleeing are obvious.

It's hard to say what the number of dead would have been without the advice to flee. There is a bunch of anecdotal "evidence" that some lives were saved, and it's hard to know how many of the dead were there because of the advice they got from Morgan.

This is one of those really tough controversies that will not result in a resolution satisfactory to anyone.

What would I have done? Depends on how close it was at decision time. If I had ten or more minutes of warning, I might have fled because the Kilpatrick is close by. Less than that, an inner closet, Military helmets, padding, and secure in the fact that life has been good up to now.

My new shelter is coming Monday!

I'd like to not see this turn into a witch hunt.

<edit> I see the witch hunt is in another thread. Knew it would happen.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing what was left after the Moore tornado, and having no shelter (yet), we chose to hit the road. We were right in the path of the El Reno tornado and I saw no other choice. Yes, it was based on Mike Morgan's advice, but it was MY decision, and I think we did the right thing. I say we give the guy a break, he at least had the guts to make a very tough call and damn if he didn't make it. I think if a lot of people had stayed in their homes and died, he'd be vilified for that.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weathermen are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They're expected to make the right call for everyone everytime. This is Oklahoma and we all know what tornado's are capable of. Time to start accepting some personal responsibility.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They should ban meteorology

wordinfo.info_words_images_mancy_spinning_wheel.gif

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dumba$$ weatherman on Ch. 7 said 30% chance of rain today. It hasn't rained all day, much less 30% of the day. What a DB.

Don't like the weather, tuff Shiite, Mother Nature don't give a flying rats ..............

Unlike The Messiah, Morgan made a decision, made it known and stands by it.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe meteorologist should concentrate on weather reporting and lay off the drama and advice... And maybe people shouldn't be stupid enough to take advice from a weatherman that wears a flashy tie...

tbsadavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I made the decision to leave our home in Bridge Creek to flee to a safer area. Our decision-our responsibility. We headed south on highway 4 and tried to get on I44 to go south to Chickasha. What a mess. The main problem was trying to get through the pay booth. I think the highway department should have opened the lanes and let people get down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom