Wyandotte home hit by 105mm artillery shell from OFATS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not allowed down range?

It doesn't take much to deflect a cannon round or a rifle round.

When i say we, i mean anyone not on the organizer staff or emergency services like the fire department. So vendors, their staff and shooters were prohibited from going down range by the people in charge of the event. Just a safety issue. There was one fire in the far tree line sunday afternoon that caused a cease fire so the pumper truck could roll out and extinguish the flare up.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the inert rounds for civilian use.

I worked for many years with a bunch of old retired canon cockers, and they all agreed that there was no such thing as a "practice round" in the opinion of the Field Artillery. Apparently it was considered less costly to use the real stuff for training than to come up with special practice rounds.

I do recall a device that put a 10 ga slug shooter inside an artillery piece for firing on a short range. They had figured out how to make it mimic the ballistics of the real thing in miniature. Not sure how long it was used or how successfully.

I've never been associated with cannons, so I asked Google, who graciously led me here:

http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/105mm Ordnance/2 105mmAmmunition.html

The chart shows both a practice round and an inert round. Maybe it was the shock of the moment, but I thought it was interesting that the home owner referred to it as a "bullet".

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been associated with cannons, so I asked Google, who graciously led me here:

http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/105mm Ordnance/2 105mmAmmunition.html

The chart shows both a practice round and an inert round. Maybe it was the shock of the moment, but I thought it was interesting that the home owner referred to it as a "bullet".

If I remember correctly there is something about the old HE munitions and them being unreliable after a certain amount of storage time which is one of the reasons why they end up being used for "practice." Why buy something specially made when you have something sitting on the shelf that has to be used anyway or destroyed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom