Oklahoma TV weatherman vilified for tornado advice Mike Morgan slammed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think 30% chance means it will rain 30% of the day. I'm pretty sure it means 30% of the viewing area will get rain.

That's still not it.

It means that, in the area being forecast for (sometimes that's the viewing area, if it is a TV broadcast), there is a 30% chance it will rain. Not an amount of coverage over the area...not a duration that it will rain....just the chance it will happen somewhere in that area, at some intensity, for some duration.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6:53 (Tornado Reno & County Line)
"This is south oklahoma city. You folks need to be, if you can go south right now, if you don't feel safe, go south, get out if its way."
"If you can drive south, anywhere around white water bay, state fair park, the ballpark, downtown oklahoma city, sw integris, us grant distric, rose state, mwc regional, mwc, parts of del city you need to drive south now or get below ground."
"If you live in south oklahoma city, uh please, go below ground, or drive out of the way. And do it right now, do it right now."
"If you can leave south oklahoma city and go south, do it right now."
"Or get in your car and drive south, go drive town to at least central moore and get south, do it right now."

From the radio:
"It's still on the ground on the south side of I-40. Go South, get on down here, go towards west moore, somewhere down here. Get down here, way down here by newcastle. Take I-44, and just go down to Newcastle"

I take it that he speaking to those out in its path already, listening to him over the radio, get out of its way, go south, meaning if you are going the other way, turn around and get out of its way.

Of course if most folks had any common sense at all a warning to get out of a F5 tornados path would not be needed.

If more folks were prepared at home, or prepared for when they are out and about, things would be different.

Just remember your failure to prepare does not constitute a emergency on my part.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take it that he speaking to those out in its path already, listening to him over the radio, get out of its way, go south, meaning if you are going the other way, turn around and get out of its way.
That does not jive with this:
Or get in your car and drive south
I'm not going to hold him responsible for sending those people out into the traffic because they were all adults, and therefore responsible for their own actions. I do, however, think it was irresponsible of him to say that when he knew (or reasonably should have known) that the interstates (and many, if not most, arterial roads) in OKC were parking lots, particularly in the southbound direction.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That does not jive with this:

I'm not going to hold him responsible for sending those people out into the traffic because they were all adults, and therefore responsible for their own actions. I do, however, think it was irresponsible of him to say that when he knew (or reasonably should have known) that the interstates (and many, if not most, arterial roads) in OKC were parking lots, particularly in the southbound direction.

Well lets see, storm is moving west to east, pretty much tracking down I40, so ya, if you are in its path south would be a good direction to head, pretty much common sense that if you cant get underground get out of the storms way.
I really cant believe people want to hang the guy for that advice.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well lets see, storm is moving west to east, pretty much tracking down I40, so ya, if you are in its path south would be a good direction to head, pretty much common sense that if you cant get underground get out of the storms way.
I really cant believe people want to hang the guy for that advice.

It would have been great advice at 630, but at 7pm, it was stupid and dangerous advice.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would have been great advice at 630, but at 7pm, it was stupid and dangerous advice.

Not if your already out on the road, so what would you have done, stayed on I40? Hell no you would have gotten out of there as fast you could have. Storm hit at rush hour, nothing anyone could have done about that, but that's Oklahoma weather and a person that has lived here long enough should know thats the witching hour for these storms. Also every weather person in the area and national had been talking about the risk for severe weather for those days, its not like people did not have advance notice those were going to be high risk days.

I figure thats why it helps to know the area and what side streets a person can take to avoid congested areas.

Mike Morgan did nothing wrong that day.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not if your already out on the road
We already covered this several times. Mike Morgan was telling people in their homes at 7pm to get on the road.

I figure thats why it helps to know the area and what side streets a person can take to avoid congested areas.

Mike Morgan did nothing wrong that day.

The side streets were congested too, according to the people I work with who live near Sooner Rd, May, Western and Portland.

Mike Morgan gave stupid and dangerous advice that day. It was the wrong thing to do.
It's not the end of the world, people do things are are significantly more stupid here every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom