Wyandotte home hit by 105mm artillery shell from OFATS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I never gave much thought to riccochets until I seen tracers at night. No tellin where some stuff ends up.

most of the time it's the tracer busting out of the slug I will try and find the study that was done by some eggheads I took part in when I was in the Army, you would think that it would be a fun detail but it wasn't when you have to clean a rifle that had nothing but tracers shot out of it for 6 hours.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope it stops there, and some DA doesn't get involved.
What?! People could have died! Property was damaged! Why were these people accosted with a CANNON in the first place? Why wasn't that cannon secured first?

One man shouldn't be able to make this decision alone! Send it to a jury!

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never heard of that happening with a 105. It was well known to happen with 175s shooting at Grafenwoehr Training Area in Germany because the 175 is a low-trajectory gun and the ground at Graf has been a training area back to the Kaiser's day, making the ground very hard. There were stories about rounds going well off the impact zone and landing on main post.

The article doesn't say why the projectile didn't explode but I'm guessing it was designed as a practice, non-explosive round?

All of the DD at the shoot fire solid, non exploding projectiles. Notwithstanding this isolated incident, the risk of collateral damage from live shot is much to high (not to mention expensive)! Still, WOW!

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, that makes sense.

Amen!! There are some people around Medicine Park that would agree.

The ones fired into the Wichitas yesterday went boom. I was watching and listening from work yesterday. The volume of fire was the most I've heard and there were secondary explosions after the shot.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the inert rounds for civilian use.

I worked for many years with a bunch of old retired canon cockers, and they all agreed that there was no such thing as a "practice round" in the opinion of the Field Artillery. Apparently it was considered less costly to use the real stuff for training than to come up with special practice rounds.

I do recall a device that put a 10 ga slug shooter inside an artillery piece for firing on a short range. They had figured out how to make it mimic the ballistics of the real thing in miniature. Not sure how long it was used or how successfully.

Latest posts

Top Bottom