Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The FCC’s net-neutrality plan

Wheeler dealing

May 15th 2014

cdn.static_economist.com_sites_default_files_imagecache_full_w03c20195d2cb6060d4e57f419d0e89f8.jpg

ONE thing was certain when Tom Wheeler, a former cable-industry lobbyist who now chairs the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), formally unveiled his proposal for an “open internet” at a public meeting on May 15th: few people would like it. Protesters have been camped outside the FCC’s Washington, DC digs for days, claiming that Mr Wheeler was out to destroy “net neutrality”—the idea that all digital traffic should be treated equally by internet service providers (ISPs). Protests have been organised around the country to “save the internet”. Almost 2m people have signed petitions. Millions of bytes have been crafted into words that are anything but neutral about Mr Wheeler’s net intentions (some by this publication). Scores of technology firms, several senators and even two of the FCC’s five commissioners have already made their displeasure known. Republican senator Ted Cruz is circulating draft legislation that would strip the FCC of any internet authority.
At the heart of the disquiet is Mr Wheeler’s plan to allow ISPs—a business dominated by giants such as Verizon and potential mergees Comcast and Time Warner Cable—to do deals with content providers such as Netflix, Amazon and Google for priority transmission of films, videos and other streaming services over the congested “last mile” to users. That, say supporters of net neutrality, would create a two-tier internet: a high-speed digital toll-road for big content providers with the dollars and market power to make their customers pay, and a digital dirt-road for everyone else.
Ahead of today’s meeting, Mr Wheeler has been scrambling to offer assurances that deals between big ISPs and content providers would be carefully scrutinised to ensure that individuals and less-wealthy content companies don’t live their lives in the internet slow lane. He says he will appoint an ombudsman with “significant enforcement authority” whose role will be to ensure that everyone receives “fast and robust” internet service. Mr Wheeler says he also wants to consider reclassifying broadband as a public utility under Title II (or other parts) of the 1996 Telecommunications Act—not a great idea unless you want tomorrow’s internet to be governed by rules written for wireline telephone services. He says he will also look at proposals from Tim Wu, a Columbia Law School professor who coined the term net neutrality, the Mozilla Foundation and others that would essentially apply Title II only to the interplay between ISPs and content providers.
None of this will solve American broadband’s most pressing problem: a near-total lack of competition. More than three-quarters of households have no choice but to use their local cable monopoly for internet access. They also pay more for it than people in other rich countries, and get slower speeds in return. The ISPs claim they are boosting investment to improve the situation; in truth, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association’s own data show that annual infrastructure investment has never regained its $16 billion 2001 peak. On the content side, Americans are faced with quasi-monopolistic pricing power. If you want to watch a box-office hit on demand, your choice is essentially your ISP’s own content service, Amazon or Netflix—which by itself now accounts for a third of America’s peak internet traffic. Those content providers, along with other big technology firms, already use services that help to prioritise their traffic. In other words, the net is already far from neutral.
So what of today’s meeting? After some initial disruption by protestors, Mr Wheeler and his four fellow commissioners each discussed his proposals. None of the four were wholeheartedly supportive. Mignon Clyburn, a Democratic commissioner, said she would prohibit paid prioritisation, and noted that even her mother was concerned. Jessica Rosenworcel, another Democrat, declared “we cannot have a two-tiered internet” and noted that she had wanted to postpone today’s vote. Republicans Michael O’Rielly and Ajit Pai damned the entire proposal, with Mr O’Rielly calling it a “regulatory boondoggle” and Mr Pai saying the FCC should cede its internet authority to Congress. Mr Wheeler reiterated that any prioritisation deals that deprived people of the internet service they paid for would be prohibited, and stressed his support for an open internet so many times that this writer, for one, felt he doth protest way too much. The proposal passed by three to two, along party lines (Mr Wheeler is a Democrat).
Interested parties—that would be every American who uses the internet—now have 120 days to make their thoughts known to the FCC, after which a doubtless slightly modified proposal will be voted on again. And then, in all likelihood, there will be another protracted court battle.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The congested connections for Comcast and TWC aren't downstream, they're peering. You've made multiple statements like this, this is where you state this. .

please show where I said what in the original post ... otherwise I've got no clue what you are going on about???

speaking of rambling .. sorry but that's all I'm getting from you ..

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If all of this goes the way of the big corporations it is going to be just like cable and satellite providers are now. You will try to go to Netflix and get a screen that says we are in a contract dispute with Netflix and until it is resolved (Netflix pays us more money) you will not be able to access them trough our system.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Federal Government has been salivating over internet control for a decade now. They never thought they'd have a chance at controlling it. It turns out that it was easy. All they had to do is point at Comcast and we're now lining up asking the Feds to waltz in and take over. It must be fun to live in D.C. and do this kind of stuff for a living. We're certainly easier to manipulate than the Germans in the '30s or the Russians in the '20s.

Oops. Sorry. I know, I know, the FCC is just trying to protect us and make the internet fair. I keep forgetting that. Look! Over there! Evil corporations! Evil corporations!

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
please show where I said what in the original post ... otherwise I've got no clue what you are going on about???

speaking of rambling .. sorry but that's all I'm getting from you ..

I've quoted it when I pointed it out, you just don't read it.

If all of this goes the way of the big corporations it is going to be just like cable and satellite providers are now. You will try to go to Netflix and get a screen that says we are in a contract dispute with Netflix and until it is resolved (Netflix pays us more money) you will not be able to access them trough our system.

While I think some of that is a possibility, it's just FUD right now. We have other harms today that can be used to drive the point home.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've quoted it when I pointed it out, you just don't read it..

OK .. where is this quote of mine that mentions:

The congested connections for Comcast and TWC aren't downstream, they're peering. You've made multiple statements like this, this is where you state this. .

that you keep referring to? can't seem to find it ... sorry still don't have a clue what you've been going on about???

do you always have this much trouble communicating? :D

Last edited:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK .. where is this quote of mine that mentions:

that you keep referring to? can't seem to find it ... sorry still don't have a clue what you've been going on about???

do you always have this much trouble communicating? :D

That was an impressive troll, my hat is off to you.

i.imgur.com_b7852CY.gif

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was an impressive troll, my hat is off to you.

i.imgur.com_b7852CY.gif

look at who's the troll ... you've been going on and on for days now .. after multiple request for you to clarify what in the world are you going on about?

you still have not ... sh*t or get off the pot ..

Latest posts

Top Bottom