Open Carry Bill - Any comments?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra_One

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was curious if anybody had any opinions on the open carry bill that was past by the OK Legislature and is now on Gov. Henry's desk waiting either a signature or a veto. I personally wrote the author and expressed my concerns of weapon retention issues that could arise.

Like I said, curious if anyone else had any opinions.

jtyler05si

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you explain weapon retention issues? Just Curious.
I don't mind the OC option just because it is a little more freedom, but I think there could be too many people carrying for the wrong reason if now you are allowed to have it showing. I change whether I am for or against it from day to day.

Sierra_One

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you explain weapon retention issues? Just Curious.
I don't mind the OC option just because it is a little more freedom, but I think there could be too many people carrying for the wrong reason if now you are allowed to have it showing. I change whether I am for or against it from day to day.

For instance; your in a crowded are and someone tries to grab your weapon. When it is concealed, what cannot be seen cannot be taken. I too am not set for or against it, but I have training in weapon retention.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For instance; your in a crowded are and someone tries to grab your weapon. When it is concealed, what cannot be seen cannot be taken. I too am not set for or against it, but I have training in weapon retention.

The issue of this bill is decrimimallization of exposing your handgun in public.
Right now it is illegal in OK to open carry even on your own property solely for the purpose of self defense. I think that's absurd.

WHEN it is appropriate to cary openly (and how) is an entirely different issue.
Let's not mix up the two and start scratching each other's eyes out.

I grew up in an open carry state, and also have training in weapon retention.
I've never open carried in Wal Mart, and think it would be foolish to start.

jtyler05si

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue of this bill is decrimimallization of exposing your handgun in public.
Right now it is illegal in OK to open carry even on your own property solely for the purpose of self defense. I think that's absurd.

WHEN it is appropriate to cary openly (and how) is an entirely different issue.
Let's not mix up the two and start scratching each other's eyes out.

I grew up in an open carry state, and also have training in weapon retention.
I've never open carried in Wal Mart, and think it would be foolish to start.

I agree. I also appreciate your last sentence, but fear others will/do not have the same concerns.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I also appreciate your last sentence, but fear others will/do not have the same concerns.

Just OC when having a picnic, walking with the Family around the block, doing outside activities (NOT events)

CC when you patronize a business.

Just OC when and where it is comfortable to you.

There WILL be the guys who will push the envelope. If they do it right, and legally, more power to them.

people are really freaking out on tulsa workd, KJRH, channel 6 websites as far as comments. we are called scum, punks, we feel we have to show how we are bad-asses by toting a gun.

Its almost funny to see the ignorance out there... it really is

jtyler05si

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just OC when having a picnic, walking with the Family around the block, doing outside activities (NOT events)

CC when you patronize a business.

Just OC when and where it is comfortable to you.

There WILL be the guys who will push the envelope. If they do it right, and legally, more power to them.

people are really freaking out on tulsa workd, KJRH, channel 6 websites as far as comments. we are called scum, punks, we feel we have to show how we are bad-asses by toting a gun.

Its almost funny to see the ignorance out there... it really is

Although they are ignorant in that the majority of us are not scum,punks, etc; there are still a small amount of people that fit those categories. That's scary considering how big of a responsibility this right is.
So on one hand I say more freedom! On the other I remember and worry over the fact that this might increase the percentage of the scum, etc or just make that percentage moot because now who is to tell the difference between the good and bad. Sorry I'm just ranting, I know this has been covered before.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... we feel we have to show how we are bad-asses by toting a gun.

This element is the one that concerns me the most...people hate to admit it, but there are plenty of "gun guys" who fit this category.

Can't wait to see the nickle plated desert eagles in drop leg holsters at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom