Open carry holster retention?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a holster for open or not so concealed carry and was wondering what are some good ones. I have been looking at the Safariland ALS concealment holsters but am not sure if the open top is enough or if I should get the level II retention one with the strap. I am not a big fan of the Serpa holsters with the trigger finger release either, just my personal preference. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Safariland makes different retention level holsters, but it all depends on which gun you're carrying. I recently chose a 5.11 Tactical "Thumb drive" retention holster for my M&P40 and I love it. I know I would not ever carry openly without a good retention holster.

djdavis75

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Safariland 6378 ALS with the ALS guard option installed. I really like it, and the retention seems really good. I think they do make one with a strap too.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a 1911 at 2:30 o'clock most of the time. No retention. Always hot, never concerned, most of the time a T shirt over the top, sometimes not. My elbow works well for me for retention. Only a few times have I "tucked my elbow in because of the environment" I guess it would depend on your carry and shoulder joint angle for retention. I cc a Sig 238 in my pocket when I need to, more retention than I like. I carry the Sig 238 because it is a very baby of my Colt 1911. I do not have to think about any thing different, safety, sights, hand grip angle, clearing from a misfire, changing magazine release, etc. Had a retention (snap holster) one time, waste of time and money to think about using it. Like everything in shooting, get used to what you do, and do it well. My example, I grew up with a Rem 870 pump shotgun. I decided to try a rem 1100 auto. After 3 hunts of missing birds, I went back to my 870 pump, back on track again. Why? It fit me and my style. I do not know what the name used here, I call it "motordrive" I shoot a Colt 1911 by holding it out and pulling the trigger in the direction I want it to fire, works for me. Put a different brand in my hand with a different angle hand grip, I will not hit close to the target.

It seems everyone goes through many holsters. Shooting classes are important but a holster class might give more help than firing different firearms. Personal opinion.

Everyone has a personal opinion because of what they have gotten used to what they do that works for them. Like my first off the wall statement, My situational awareness mandates that if I am in public, my elbow is aware, any touch, it retracts back. There is no right/wrong, most importantly, can you keep a mental awareness of what you have, you will be safe.

There is a saying in flying airplanes "If you have to think about it, you are too late."

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 1911 at 2:30 o'clock most of the time. No retention. Always hot, never concerned, most of the time a T shirt over the top, sometimes not. My elbow works well for me for retention. Only a few times have I "tucked my elbow in because of the environment" I guess it would depend on your carry and shoulder joint angle for retention. I cc a Sig 238 in my pocket when I need to, more retention than I like. I carry the Sig 238 because it is a very baby of my Colt 1911. I do not have to think about any thing different, safety, sights, hand grip angle, clearing from a misfire, changing magazine release, etc. Had a retention (snap holster) one time, waste of time and money to think about using it. Like everything in shooting, get used to what you do, and do it well. My example, I grew up with a Rem 870 pump shotgun. I decided to try a rem 1100 auto. After 3 hunts of missing birds, I went back to my 870 pump, back on track again. Why? It fit me and my style. I do not know what the name used here, I call it "motordrive" I shoot a Colt 1911 by holding it out and pulling the trigger in the direction I want it to fire, works for me. Put a different brand in my hand with a different angle hand grip, I will not hit close to the target.

It seems everyone goes through many holsters. Shooting classes are important but a holster class might give more help than firing different firearms. Personal opinion.

Everyone has a personal opinion because of what they have gotten used to what they do that works for them. Like my first off the wall statement, My situational awareness mandates that if I am in public, my elbow is aware, any touch, it retracts back. There is no right/wrong, most importantly, can you keep a mental awareness of what you have, you will be safe.

There is a saying in flying airplanes "If you have to think about it, you are too late."

Excellent points, I concur

Latest posts

Top Bottom