Opinions wanted: Progressive reloaders!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To address the question of ammunition quality and consistency, the Dillon presses produce ammo as good as any from a high-quality single stage; they just do it faster.

Going to disagree with this. Not saying the ammo you load with the Dillon is going to be bad or not accurate. However, the high-quality single stage, especially the Forster Co-Ax, will allow a lot better control of runout and other variables that reloaders who are concerned about accuracy only.

I would also bet that most if not all F-class reloaders don't reload on a progressive. Just a lot more control of reloading variables by single stage reloading everything.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to disagree with this. Not saying the ammo you load with the Dillon is going to be bad or not accurate. However, the high-quality single stage, especially the Forster Co-Ax, will allow a lot better control of runout and other variables that reloaders who are concerned about accuracy only.

I would also bet that most if not all F-class reloaders don't reload on a progressive. Just a lot more control of reloading variables by single stage reloading everything.

You're probably right. However, David Tubb (who is not an F-Class shooter) churns out all his blammo on a 550.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're probably right. However, David Tubb (who is not an F-Class shooter) churns out all his blammo on a 550.

I think that is your key word there. I would turn out all my blammo ammo on a progressive as well because frankly I wouldn't care that much if it isn't super accurate. I would even load some rounds used for coyote or predator hunting on one.

However, I would not load rounds I wanted the best accuracy out of on one especially if money or prizes were on the line.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that is your key word there. I would turn out all my blammo ammo on a progressive as well because frankly I wouldn't care that much if it isn't super accurate. I would even load some rounds used for coyote or predator hunting on one.

However, I would not load rounds I wanted the best accuracy out of on one especially if money or prizes were on the line.

You're just confusing the original poster.

He is concerned the progressives can't load ammo as good as the Winchester he buys at Wal Mart. Which it obviously can.

I would have thought there was more difference that there is, but actual tests of a Dillon 550 and a RCBS press loading .223 with the same dies and components gave no statistically significant difference in actual shooting tests done many years ago.

Of course you can produce more consistent long-range rifle ammunition using specialty dies and expensive hand-selected components on the best single-stage press if you are a skilled and experienced handloader.

But to keep it in perspective, without the expensive custom rifle and the shooting skill, it would still make no difference if shot in the average hunting rifle.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're just confusing the original poster.

If you say so chief!!! I was disagreeing with the post which is not really truthful. You can take it however you want but don't try to discredit the OP by saying he cannot understand what was posted in this thread. Maybe, the complete truth should be discussed and give the pro's and con's of both. Your bold text doesn't make you instantly correct.

I don't have specialty dies and hand-selected components but I do have a Forster Co-Ax which has been shown to help with runout issues and produce more consistent results. Just trying to give him more of the facts than glossing over them thinking he wouldn't be able to understand them.

I also don't see him mentioning any ammo being purchased from Wal-Mart but do see where he mentioned he is pretty familiar with reloading.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was disagreeing with the post which is not really truthful. Maybe, the complete truth should be discussed and give the pro's and con's of both.

Please see edited original post.
I hope the addition of for most purposes makes you feel that the statement is more completely correct.

Although you did not specify, apparently you were referring only to precision long range rifle ammunition, not to the pistol calibers listed.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition the Forster Co-Ax is not a progressive press so really was not part of the OP's requirements.

I personally load on a Dillon 550B. When I need super specific long range ammo, I still load portions on the Dillon. My powder charges are manually added, but the bullet seat and crimp still take place. With each round weighed, and measured, all of my loads are on spec.

Latest posts

Top Bottom