Opinions wanted: Progressive reloaders!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was loading on my Dillon 650 yesterday and a friend came by to change the stock on his AR-15. I changed the stock for him and we were just BSing for a while. He said a part on a off -brand press he owned had just broken for the second time in about a year. He asked me how I liked the Dillon 650? I have never owned anything other than a old single stage press. I told him I liked the Dillon fine. I have the Sq Deal B also. I loaded around 8 rds. in less than a minute. He was impressed and said he should take his tax refund and get a Dillon. You said "Don't recommend a press just because you own one". How can anyone endorse a press that they haven't been around or used?

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that is your key word there. I would turn out all my blammo ammo on a progressive as well because frankly I wouldn't care that much if it isn't super accurate. I would even load some rounds used for coyote or predator hunting on one.

However, I would not load rounds I wanted the best accuracy out of on one especially if money or prizes were on the line.

Go ahead and google David Tubb for me. Thanks.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go ahead and google David Tubb for me. Thanks.

Is he related to Tubb Girl!?!?!?!

Besides I don't see how googling David Tubb proves anything about what I quoted. You said he reloads all his blammo on a 550. Show me a quote of him saying he loads all his precision ammo on a 550.

EDIT: I googled. Found some posts by people that weren't David Tubb saying he loads his ammo on a Dillon 550. Found nothing from David saying he loads his precision ammo on a Dillon 550. Please provide a link to something published by David about this and I will retract my statement.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you trying to say you are God or the chorus of angels?!?!?! If so, I need to see some id!!!!!!

EDIT: You have shown nothing to prove that you are the "end all, be all" for me to just believe you.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:Heya:

Hey Tanner ... just get the Dillon and be done with it. GC loads all my ammo on it ... I put the site picture where I want it and pull the trigger and I'll be damned ... the bullet goes just where I want it to. Yeah ... I'm an F-class shooter but that's cuz I am a GURL ... :P

Tell your darling I said "hey"! :haay:

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Hornady LNL AP, and it's very good. I have used a Dillon 450 and a 550 in the past before buying a press of my own.

If I wanted to, I could use the press like a single stage. With the retainer ring, it's very easy to move a case around on the press. Additionally, it's very easy to pop dies in and out and configure the press for a certain operation(such as forming cases for a wildcat).

I like the auto indexing feature, and once you really get into a good rhythm, you can really crank out a lot of quality ammo in a quickness. I use mine to load 9mm, .38 Super, and .45 Auto. I let a friend of mine use it to load for .380 ACP and another friend uses it to load .40 S&W.

A lot of people will make a big deal out of Dillon's customer service. Truth is, Hornady, RCBS, and the other manufacturers all have good customer service. I've dealt with Hornady's CS, on a problem that was 100% my fault, and they shipped me the parts I needed at no charge.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load all my range and hunting ammo on the progressive Dillon 550. I can get super accurate loads with the ball and flake powders. I can crank out a lot of this ammo in a short time. However, when loading some rod powders, I do get some small inconsistencies. I slow down when using these, because the longer rods just don't meter as good. Still accurate enough for hunting purposes.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll jump out and say it. I have had really good luck with Lee. I am to picky with my rifle so I use one of their turret presses but for pistol I have good luck with the loadmaster. I will qualify that by saying I have never used any of the others. Started with lee single, then O-frame and right up the line. I currently have all 3 mounted on my bench.

Latest posts

Top Bottom