Orange Flag and Wooden Stake with "Prop Corp" appeard on property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was just out at my folks' place setting up some stuff for the coming deer rifle season and noticed an orange flag on their barbed wire fence along with a wooden stake about 4 feet over on the neighbor's property (with an orange flag tied to it as well) that was spray-painted with the words "Prop Corp". I went over to ask the neighbor but he wasn't there.

Does anyone know what that means off hand? I saw this in 3 places and figured that it was being surveyed, but if he's selling his place, then I'll need a new hunting property (I've always had his permission to hunt over there, but obviously would need to retrieve my stands, etc. if he were selling it until I got permission from the new owner).

Just my curiosity getting the best of me until I know for sure I guess.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you saw was most likely a survey marker. It should have said "Prop. Cor.", which is an abbreviation for property corner. This is not neccesarily an indication that the property is being sold, but that is a possibility.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was some of these stakes showed up in my area a few months ago. Turned out to be an oil well being staked out and the property corners were just marked for reference.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that sucks. Turns out its already been sold (twice - the first purchaser got laid off after doing the title work and couldn't get financed). I just talked to the realtor who already got permission to hunt the land.

So I didn't want to horn in on his new deal, and told him that I'd need a day or so to retrieve my stands/cameras if he didn't mind.

Well, that sucks. Now I'm looking for a new hunting spot right at the beginning of Deer season.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least he is letting you get your property. I had built an enclosed blind that was 22' tall and stood it up on a place that was owned by a family I knew. They leased the farming/cattle operation out, and after several years of the same farmer, that I got along with great, the lease changed hands. The new lessee tried to tell me that I couldn't hunt it and I couldn't get my stand either.

Long story short:
To retrieve stand, you had to drive across farm ground to get to the real rough area the stand was at. It was the first part of September and he hadn't sown wheat yet. I told him, either he could let me get the stand off there today, before he plants, or I could go through legal means to get it, and they would more than likely have me driving across his young wheat. He let me get it.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most surveying companies will use orange on their stakes. It could be most anything. Right now some oil companies are doing boundary surveys when a location is being staked, however, that is just the section corners being tied in. If you have a stake marked "prop cor" it could be the landowner is either wanting to define his property or gettting it staked for lease purposes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom