OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the past, I posted a picture of the Oregon Dunes (as seen from a distance. Those dunes started when perhaps well meaning people started planting grasses along the beaches to prevent the eroded beach sand from going too far inland. Sadly, the erosion covered the grasses, which grew back up through the sand and caught more sand and grew up even more. We saw places where one could see a good part of a pine tree with sand up the trunk. Last we heard, they are now trying to encourage people (think groups like scouts, church groups, etc.) to go out and dig out the grasses.

Here is a closer look at some of the dunes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the past, I posted a picture of the Oregon Dunes (as seen from a distance. Those dunes started when perhaps well meaning people started planting grasses along the beaches to prevent the eroded beach sand from going too far inland. Sadly, the erosion covered the grasses, which grew back up through the sand and caught more sand and grew up even more. We saw places where one could see a good part of a pine tree with sand up the trunk. Last we heard, they are now trying to encourage people (think groups like scouts, church groups, etc.) to go out and dig out the grasses.

Here is a closer look at some of the dunes.

They are still planting grasses along the Southeastern Emerald coast. We saw lots of school groups doing those projects along the beaches. The higher dunes are preferred to protect the businesses behind them, but they certainly aren't that high.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I rank insurance companies right there with lawyers and car salesmen, that is to say just a couple notches above politicians.

We swapped companies a few weeks back to try to save some $$. Get a message from our new agent about 10 days ago that we need to trim limbs that are "touching the roof" in my parents house next door. So we do that last weekend, trim them back several feet from roof surface. My wife takes pics, sends them in, and agent says the pics don't show what work we did good enough. So my son climbs back onto roof, takes pics from different angles, and she sends them in.

About the time I get two truckloads of limbs hauled off today, my wife gets the newest word from agent..."
it's those big tree limbs hanging over your roof that's giving you issues" 😡. So now with the wording changed, we have a tree trimmer set to come look at it tomorrow, as we've done about all we can safely do on our own. Between a slick metal roof with a decent pitch, and the power tie in right below some of the limbs, its pretty well out of our knowledge/equipment range. Rant over, yall have a good night! 🤣

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I rank insurance companies right there with lawyers and car salesmen, that is to say just a couple notches above politicians.

We swapped companies a few weeks back to try to save some $$. Get a message from our new agent about 10 days ago that we need to trim limbs that are "touching the roof" in my parents house next door. So we do that last weekend, trim them back several feet from roof surface. My wife takes pics, sends them in, and agent says the pics don't show what work we did good enough. So my son climbs back onto roof, takes pics from different angles, and she sends them in.

About the time I get two truckloads of limbs hauled off today, my wife gets the newest word from agent..."
it's those big tree limbs hanging over your roof that's giving you issues" 😡. So now with the wording changed, we have a tree trimmer set to come look at it tomorrow, as we've done about all we can safely do on our own. Between a slick metal roof with a decent pitch, and the power tie in right below some of the limbs, its pretty well out of our knowledge/equipment range. Rant over, yall have a good night! 🤣
Saving money ain’t cheap…

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty happy with myself today. I have an old Marlin’s Glenfield Model 75 22LR rifle that I bought new 54 years ago. Shot it a bunch back then but not so much the last 40 years or so. I picked up a leather scabbard and strapped it to my ATV. All I ever did was run a brush and patch down the barrel every once in awhile. I decided to see if I could clean 54 years of grim off and out of it. Watched a YouTube video on how to disassemble. Actually quite easy. It shows 54 years of wear here and there but it has some good nostalgic memories and is good to go for another 50 years and/or pass on to a grandson.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty happy with myself today. I have an old Marlin’s Glenfield Model 75 22LR rifle that I bought new 54 years ago. Shot it a bunch back then but not so much the last 40 years or so. I picked up a leather scabbard and strapped it to my ATV. All I ever did was run a brush and patch down the barrel every once in awhile. I decided to see if I could clean 54 years of grim off and out of it. Watched a YouTube video on how to disassemble. Actually quite easy. It shows 54 years of wear here and there but it has some good nostalgic memories and is good to go for another 50 years and/or pass on to a grandson.
I have that exact model I bought for $50 when Gibsons went out of business in Ponca. Bought three of them actually with the intent to gift two of them at Christmas.
It's still hanging from a nail in the barn with a cap over the muzzle to keep dust out if needed to dispatch varmints. Did a full strip and clean on it last year and shot it for a bit to perforate a burn barrel, and it's back on the nail for further use if needed.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have that exact model I bought for $50 when Gibsons went out of business in Ponca. Bought three of them actually with the intent to gift two of them at Christmas.
It's still hanging from a nail in the barn with a cap over the muzzle to keep dust out if needed to dispatch varmints. Did a full strip and clean on it last year and shot it for a bit to perforate a burn barrel, and it's back on the nail for further use if needed.
I'm anxious to take it back out and shoot it a bit to make sure that cleaning it didn't 'upset' it. Many times a lot old stuff is held together by the dirt and grime they have accumulated.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are still planting grasses along the Southeastern Emerald coast. We saw lots of school groups doing those projects along the beaches. The higher dunes are preferred to protect the businesses behind them, but they certainly aren't that high.

When we were in Oregon, the owners of the retreat and reunion center where we worked also owned a beach house in Waldport, OR. On the lower end of the peninsula of the bay, the beach erosion was horrific. I looked at pictures online and they showed sand dunes up to the eaves of the houses. Sadly, their laws required the home owners to put the sand back on the beach when they cleared out the dunes.

We got to stay about a week in the beach house (for free, even), and here is one of the pictures showing the back side of a house and dunes at the side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom