OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Vermillion Cliffs are the second step of the Grand Staircase - Escalante, and they run along the northern part of Arizona. It is a beautiful drive along Highway 89A from the Kiabab Plateau over to Highway 89. At the western end of 89A and near the Kiabab Plateau is one of the places where they release the California Condors back to nature and freedom.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was an old pipeline right of way through my pasture when I bought the place in 2015, and over the years, the ruts down the hill have washed out really bad. I did a job a few months ago where I had to get rid of some dirt and old rotted hay/compost, and I used that to fill in the ruts and smooth everything out. I also planted 100# of ryegrass to hold everything in place and keep it from washing again.
A power company employee came out this morning to assess all the damage to the lines on my place, and we talked about the best way for the crews to get to where they need to be. The high line runs into my place from the south and is accessible from an oil well road on the neighbors, but the Oncor guy was worried about the bucket trucks getting stuck driving down the high line right of way, so I hesitantly agreed to let them drive through my pasture instead with ONE request. DO NOT DRIVE IN THAT OLD LANE. He even had me put up cones to show the trucks where to drive.
I was working on cutting up trees about noon and glanced over to see a line of trucks driving right where I told the not to (I might’ve showed my @ss and raised my voice when I got to them), so now I’ve got to fix the damn ruts they made today and probably need to replant ryegrass.
The moral to the story…trust your gut. They’ll be using their own damn right of way from now on and not cutting across my pasture. :censored:

BTW…we still ain’t got power. :rolleyes2

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was an old pipeline right of way through my pasture when I bought the place in 2015, and over the years, the ruts down the hill have washed out really bad. I did a job a few months ago where I had to get rid of some dirt and old rotted hay/compost, and I used that to fill in the ruts and smooth everything out. I also planted 100# of ryegrass to hold everything in place and keep it from washing again.
A power company employee came out this morning to assess all the damage to the lines on my place, and we talked about the best way for the crews to get to where they need to be. The high line runs into my place from the south and is accessible from an oil well road on the neighbors, but the Oncor guy was worried about the bucket trucks getting stuck driving down the high line right of way, so I hesitantly agreed to let them drive through my pasture instead with ONE request. DO NOT DRIVE IN THAT OLD LANE. He even had me put up cones to show the trucks where to drive.
I was working on cutting up trees about noon and glanced over to see a line of trucks driving right where I told the not to (I might’ve showed my @ss and raised my voice when I got to them), so now I’ve got to fix the damn ruts they made today and probably need to replant ryegrass.
The moral to the story…trust your gut. They’ll be using their own damn right of way from now on and not cutting across my pasture. :censored:

BTW…we still ain’t got power. :rolleyes2
Have a access agreement drawn up for future use. Stating any damages, ruts, crops, fence etc. Is at their expense and will be fixed to your appeasement. All damages will be fixed in 30 days or result in $1k a day penalty unless agreed to otherwise in writing signed by you.

A friend does this anytime a company wants access to his land after being the victim of issues such as yours. Several years ago a seismograph company rutted up his pasture when the agreement specifically stated no access during wet conditions. They moved on and forgot about it. He called them and sent letters multiple times about remediation for damages to no avail. Six months later he hired a lawyer and they were happy ( well maybe not exactly happy) to smooth out his land, reseed it and gravel two access roads for a total of 3/4 mile out of the goodness of their heart. All to avoid the $1k a day fine for 5 months.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, DUH!!!!

Borger, TX isn't much to speak about.

But seriously, as a photographer that looks for neat things to photograph, I've seen beauty in some really desolate looking places.

I spent some time in Borger Tx in the late 70 as a tech to repair some of the vibrasize trucks that were exploring that Permainan basin for oil.

1716518344546.png

The company I worked for developed the electronics that controlled the truck and the Recording truck that accumulated the data from geophones that were placed out in the area.
I was the field troubleshooter.
At night in Borger, saw dozens of folks with lawn chairs and coolers walking toward the center of town.
I inquired what they were doing. Was told that the only entertainment in Borger was to sit around the courthouse, drink beer and watch the grass grow in the only place that had grass.
Seriously, it's that bad.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, today, I went full nuclear on our 2 acre yard. Just walking around, I was getting 4 ticks a day. Fortunately, I can feel them crawling and remove them before they attach.
Used a double strength dose of Malathion in the tractor sprayer to go over the yard twice, and three times in the areas I walk the most.
Last summer, removed the pool, patio, hot tub, and deck with an excavator I rented and brought in 17 loads of dirt to fill in the holes.
Trying to get bermuda to grow in those locations. Started it with sprigs but decided to feed it, so got enough liquid pasture fertilizer to go over it 4-5 times.
Our yard is a toxic zone now, but I don't care. Hate ticks and the possible health issues they can cause.
No pets or kids, so it's game on.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My power just came back on, but my neighbor across the pasture is with a different power company and still out. I told him he may need to show his @ss like I did.🤣
For the record, I used to be a very nice non confrontational person, but after 27 years of self employment, I don’t put up with much chit and am not afraid to show my @ss or chew on someone else’s that needs it.
This causes embarrassment to my wife regularly. :anyone:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the Smith River, which is in Northern California. It is close to the Oregon border, but I don't know if the river goes into or comes from Oregon. While on a vacation with our son in 2016, we floated the Smith River in inflatable boats. (Side note: never let yourself and your wife share the same boat. She had no clue as to what we were supposed to do to help steer the boat. After swapping places and me getting in the front, we did just fine, but then I found out she wasn't paddling at all while in the back.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom