Outboard Motor Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, Im a life long boater and Im guessing your problem may be with the shift cable adjustment "or" the shift linkage at the motor end make sure when your shift lever is in foreward that the shift belcrank is fully into engage position.

I'm going to have to google half of what you said, but....it's likely along the suggested troubleshooting I'm hoping to accomplish. Thank you!

I've got the motor put back together, though I'm fighting with the lower unit screws not wanting to release so I can re-fill it with oil. I've marked the hub and prop with a small diamond dremel bit, so I'll know if it slips next time I have it out.

Just need to get oil back in it and start looking at the throttle cables/assembly.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've torn this thing apart several times and can't find the issue. So, who is a reputable boat mechanic in and around the OKC area? Time to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hang out on crappie.com on occasion. These names come up constantly.
deerhunterodie;3425377 said:
Bob, the guys name in Inola is Kelly Davis. His number is 918 855-5250. He worked on my boat this last Feb and did a great job. Tell him Doug and Craig sent you!

Odie

Frank300;3425880 said:
The Boat Doctor (Mike Wilhite) in Checotah. 918-752-5099. As good as it gets. EB uses him too. Certified Mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I fixed reverse (lost it during a tear down) but the initial issue continues. Talked to some guys at the boat ramp while on a test run today and they looked it over. They thought the prop was spinning on the hub, which seems most likely at this point, so I'll be looking into a replacement prop vs having this one rebuilt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to "Boats-N-Moore"and ask for Jimmy. 799-9933. 12th street exit in Moore. The people are great and I have had them work on my boats for years. You will be pleased.

Is this the same as the prop shop in Moore?
Those guys rebuilt my $800 chopper SS racing prop for a hundred bucks and it was one messed up prop after coming into contact with a concrete bridge abutment that was under water.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to "Boats-N-Moore"and ask for Jimmy. 799-9933. 12th street exit in Moore. The people are great and I have had them work on my boats for years. You will be pleased.
Thanks DS. They're close and I'll give them a shop.

Dennis, I'll double check, but it's likely the same place.

I don't know a ton about boats, but the guy I bought it from said he put a smaller prop on to help the boat launch faster vs higher top speed. It sounded weird to me, but I'm curious as to if the prop, even though it fits the motor, is too small for the weight of the boat/gear, thus causing the prop to spin on the hub? I think it's a 9.5 degree prop on a 25hp mercury and a 1652 lowe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom