Overpriced private sellers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If its a fat chick, or moped, or Hi Point, I use my secret profile username to buy it so no one sees me buy it

giphy.gif

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't want to hear me complain feel free to disregard.

Anyone who has looked over a classified section or used Armslist is aware that a lot of folks seem to put more value on their gun than it is worth. Maybe that's how much it was when they bought it.

But how do people come up with some of these numbers?

If I can get a better deal on budsgunshop or GunBroker for a brand new, never used gun from the manufacturer, why would I pay more for a used gun from a private seller? There is also inherently more risk involved.

Obviously one should factor in shipping and transfer fees, but sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Obviously If you're a felon it might be worth more too, since you can buy it legally from a dealer haha

It sucks because I'd rather buy locally. Even the local dealers are overpriced, as well. That's why I'd sooner buy on the web than from a dealer.

Not to mention I've been screwed before on gun deals.

So what do you recommend? I think you point out what we all think when we buy things but there is no price list to match. I sold an entire collection of mine at a gun show, most of it when I was packing it away to bring home and people offered to pay while I was walking out. I think we all believe we are the best at bartering but in reality there will be deals and steals on both ends, or endless searches and regrets on missing out on something we thought we just had to have.

I am getting ready to list another collection to once again embark on another Jeep project, it's what makes this site so great!

What to do, what to do?

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you recommend? I think you point out what we all think when we buy things but there is no price list to match. I sold an entire collection of mine at a gun show, most of it when I was packing it away to bring home and people offered to pay while I was walking out. I think we all believe we are the best at bartering but in reality there will be deals and steals on both ends, or endless searches and regrets on missing out on something we thought we just had to have.

I am getting ready to list another collection to once again embark on another Jeep project, it's what makes this site so great!

What to do, what to do?

Sell it all here!

MosinMann

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For things that are scarcer/higher demand, pricing high and working down makes sense for folks prioritizing finding the market ceiling. For those selling common/low demand products over retail value, Armslist sellers generally fall in the categories below:

The Investor
This seller expounds upon the investment quality of guns. Especially to his wife. He’s able to provide solid past examples of selling guns at a profit. The market has changed, but he hasn’t. With money and a little ego tied in, pricing is largely psychological. If he didn’t become a gun nut, he would have invested his children’s college fund in beanie babies. A post-Obama satellite image of their backyard reveals a hill of pmags and 22lr.

The Hairy-legged Cat Lady
This seller takes in all “neglected” guns. She’d rather not get rid of any, and she wouldn’t if she hadn’t accidentally crushed a few to death in her closet or was court-ordered. But when it’s time to list, sentimentalism kicks in. This gun is like family and family doesn’t go cheap. She’ll consider trading your Colt 1911 for her Heritage Rough Rider. Will you throw in cash?

The Lord of War
This seller could have been an ffl, but prefers to cut through the red tape. Having a hard time with paperwork? They can help. +$300 to MSRP, rust extra.

Fishers of Men
This is a catchall for those I left out. There might be good reasons to fish, but you don’t need a reason to fish. Cheers!

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mmmm.... I've got some things I tried to give away in the freebie thread. ;) No takers yet.

Reminds me, I should post them again...
Funny you should say that, I tried to give away a working electric dryer in front of my house with a free sign. No takers, so a buddy of mine suggested I put a dollar amount on the sign. So I put $100, the next day it miraculously dissapeared.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom