Overwhelmed looking for first can

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been leaning toward a Rugged Oculus 22 for my CMR-30 or Ruger-57.
It is a dilemma and I haven't "pulled the trigger" yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing with cans is that there are so many options out there, so I went to a dealer to get an opinion.
He actually steered me away from the high dollar models after learning the intended purpose which is to put it on a rifle and go hunting.
I won't even mention the brand or model unless the OP wishes, but its a screw on model with an adaptor to allow it on the two different threads on my rifles.
It's used for hunting, not needing a QD adaptor which can result in the adaptors costing more than the can if used on multiple platforms.
Don't overthink with the hype on your own. Go to a couple of dealers and get their opinions based on their experience.
Some may steer you right like mine, or they may steer you to something you don't want based on profit.
Once you get enough opinions, your decision should match your needs.
Good luck and hope you get a fast approval which is stupid we have to do this.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YHM Phantom 308 with quick disconnect/ flash hider mount
Big- heavy. Use on 5.56 and 6mm. Ar's and bolt guns for prairie dogs. I am satisfied. Welded. No disassembly. Its dirty inside but doesnt build up that i worry about clean out.
Get something light weight if not bench shooting.
Good hunting.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been looking at a Dead Air Mask for a rimfire can and Dead Air Sandman S for the 300 HAM'R I just built. I already went with their Keymo brake on the rifles, so that cost is already there. I am still not sure what I want to put on the 300BO PDW, but it only has an 8" barrel so I may end up with the S on that one too.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Sooner State Pawn after work. They had a Dead Air Wolfman in stock, so I went with it. I just like Tommy all of the people there. Also, buying using dealers in the Silencer Shop network is rather simple for all the paperwork, prints, etc. I was down to the Wolfman or a GLS Phoenix based on my research for a sub gun 9 mm can.

On 22 cans I’m narrowed down or SilencerCo Switchback, Dead Air Mask, then still looking at Q El Camino, Energetic Nyx Mod2, and Thunder Beast 22 take down. Really taking into consideration which ones are easiest to clean on 22s. Being able to drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner or use harsh chemicals seems useful for dirty rim fire Cans.

Obvious solution for all these can options, is bring my spl meter to a EnS and we measure the dbl of cans on the same hosts. Like 22 cans on the same pistol, same rifle, and test a 17 hmr while at it too. If nothing else it would be fun :)

Wipes seem to be on all the Rex cans, I was not interested in that. I know you don’t have to use it..

Thinking what I really need to do is invest in some tools so I can just build form 1 cans correctly. Won’t be any less expensive, it will cost more, but it would be much faster.

Last edited:

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out pew science. They are an independent test lab that has been reviewing cans from different manufacturers. They put out some good information.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out pew science. They are an independent test lab that has been reviewing cans from different manufacturers. They put out some good information.
I’ve not found that site useful, example they tested a single 22 can, but in 4 different configurations. What about the 487 other 22 cans?

Latest posts

Top Bottom