Paul Ryan's Cuba decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I understand the principle of the thing. The government of Cuba essentially stole billions of dollars from American taxpayers by nationalizing businesses. That being said, I don't think an embargo is an effective means of encouraging democracy/capitalism when all you're doing is hurting the average Cuban citizen. Furthermore, it isn't the cold war so why do we even care what economic/governmental system another sovereign nation chooses? Why isn't this something that can be negotiated? How about something along the lines of "you give us the $6 billion (estimated) that you stole and we'll start doing business like civilized neighbors again"? Seems to me that this could be an "everyone wins" rather than an "everyone loses" type of situation if either of the two sides would stop being stubborn.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From what ive read over the years, our tax payers didnt lose, was a few giant corporations.

It would be like Iraq booting out all of the U.S. companies. Its the price you pay when you leave American soil. A sovern country has rights and our citizens shouldnt have to bail out those companies.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what ive read over the years, our tax payers didnt lose, was a few giant corporations.

It would be like Iraq booting out all of the U.S. companies. Its the price you pay when you leave American soil. A sovern country has rights and our citizens shouldnt have to bail out those companies.

Giant corporations are publicly owned. If any stockowners took a hit, then they got screwed. Sovereign countries do have rights, but stealing assets isn't one of them. If you want to boot a company out of your country fine, but taking their stuff is a whole different ball of wax. If Cuba were willing to pay the money back to those companies, all would be well in my book. Who cares if they want to stay communist?

Latest posts

Top Bottom