Persimmons...when?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestion is to taste one now to see if it is sweet enough.

Actually "please do not do this":pms2:

You will be puckerd up for awhile. My grandpa got me on this one, and I've passed the tradition on to my kids and grandkids:pms2:

I only eat the ones that drop from the tree, or make sure the ones still in the tree are soft. If they are hard, they are bitter. Really bitter:D

Same rule applies to sand plums, although they are not as bitter when not ripe.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestion is to taste one now to see if it is sweet enough.

Actually "please do not do this":pms2:

You will be puckerd up for awhile. My grandpa got me on this one, and I've passed the tradition on to my kids and grandkids:pms2:

I only eat the ones that drop from the tree, or make sure the ones still in the tree are soft. If they are hard, they are bitter. Really bitter:D

Same rule applies to sand plums, although they are not as bitter when not ripe.
my grandpa pulled the same trick on all of us. i've killed many a deer in the persimmon thicket behind the" big bond"

seems like they only made every other year

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my grandpa pulled the same trick on all of us. i've killed many a deer in the persimmon thicket behind the" big bond"

seems like they only made every other year

This is a good year for sandplums.
I've noticed pecans are like that? Only get a good crop every other year. Anybody know if this is mother nature, or just poor observation on my part??

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a good year for sandplums.
I've noticed pecans are like that? Only get a good crop every other year. Anybody know if this is mother nature, or just poor observation on my part??

Don't know about pecans, but white oaks are a year behind (as far as spring rainfall and springtime growth) for a good crop, red oaks are the same year. 2 good years back to back are not impossible, but uncommon. read that on a tree website.

I haven't seen sandplums in Payne county since I was a kid, but persimmons seem to be taking over.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Persimmons are the debil! :nono2:

I remember my Grandpa ate them when hunting and he said they had to be ripe.
So I tried one when out deer hunting. Once. It was on the ground, looked ripe and very tasty. This is not a good thing to do without a canteen and when you are an hours hike from the truck!

When you bite into one that's not ready it's like your whole mouth grows fuzz and it grows at a rate that you can only see in some B grade horror movie.

Latest posts

Top Bottom