Shed Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here in east TX, squirrels eat sheds seemingly within a few days after dropping, but at my place in Alfalfa county, I regularly find sheds that have been on the ground a year or more.
Here’s the 2019 shed from the buck I killed in 2020 that I found in November 2021.
0875361F-C958-44AE-A71C-D1CF7580CB86.jpeg

A598B4BE-8C4C-4A45-AC3E-F6338DCB9B4B.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time i ever thought of picking up a shed was last year when i nearly ran over them and it was a set not 12 inches apart, found them in the pecan orchard while out driving thru it.
Sheds are heck on UTV and tractor tires. This one took out both tires on the right side of my Rangers.
C50BAE64-BE1E-41EA-BD38-4CE5327074BD.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sheds are heck on UTV and tractor tires. This one took out both tires on the right side of my Rangers.
View attachment 348424
Lost a thousand dollar tire on my International several years ago from an antler. Seems the antlers from what I've noticed fall with the tines pointing upward vs downward when I find them, so when running over them, the base goes into the ground and the tines into the tire.
Thought about building one of the shed traps around the feeder but never have.
Anybody tried one?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lost a thousand dollar tire on my International several years ago from an antler. Seems the antlers from what I've noticed fall with the tines pointing upward vs downward when I find them, so when running over them, the base goes into the ground and the tines into the tire.
Anybody tried one?
I tried shed trap years ago here in east TX, but I didn’t get any sheds.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody tried one?
Never wanted to try shed traps. IMO if a buck that’s not ready to shed gets caught in it there’s the possibility of having him ripping it off. I’ve found sheds as early as last week of January up to the last week of April. We had 7 bucks at the feeder yesterday, all with headgear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom