Shed Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found this little dude today . . . looked like a pretty recent shed.

IMG_1058.jpg

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s always interesting to me to see how rodents chew antlers. I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a shed with any appreciable rodent damage in NW OK- even really old ones. But East of i35, almost every one I’ve seen has been chewed on by something. Is that due to seeking minerals or just to keep their teeth in check? Or is it mainly squirrels that do it? There’s not a whole lot of squirrels in NW OK.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s always interesting to me to see how rodents chew antlers. I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a shed with any appreciable rodent damage in NW OK- even really old ones. But East of i35, almost every one I’ve seen has been chewed on by something. Is that due to seeking minerals or just to keep their teeth in check? Or is it mainly squirrels that do it? There’s not a whole lot of squirrels in NW OK.
Interesting.
Our farms are west of I-35. We never see rodent damage there, and the deer don't react to mineral licks either.
Our home is in Osage County which is East of Ponca City. Deer do like mineral licks here.
You may be on to something? Don't know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom