Personal historical perspective on any type of carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, lots and lots of talk amongst you regarding the issue of open/concealed carry and how it relates to rights, wants etc................

Dont get me wrong I have no problem with either but I felt like adding a story from an old flat foot cop as to how it was just for cops............so just indulge me cause Im old, cranky, and almost a crummudgon

Some of you old cops should remember this, you new guys wont.

When I got into Law enforcement back in 74 gun control was strict. Even for the cops..........Even commissioned active duty types could not carry off duty outside of their own jurisdiction. (period)

Some departments even restricted off duty cops from carrying at all.

On duty civilian cloths types, you carried concealed period, even in August.

Some departments issued firearms each day and they had to be checked in.............

It was well know around the state that some towns you better NOT be caught carrying off duty as they would arrest off duty cops. Tulsa was the BIG bad bugger in that one. But there were other cities in Oklahoma like that though not as bad.

Well, we clammered, we griped, we bitched at elected people until the laws were changed and off duty were finally allowed to carry concealed outside of their jurisdiction..........Tulsa fought that.

But we still had problems in that OTHER STATES still prohibited officers from carrying in their jurisdictions, even on duty officers, though frankly most PD's gave that one a wink and a nod...........so We grinched again and got the states, through the Feds to begin passing reciprocity laws to honor law enforcement within their boundries ..................

Well thats about when states begin to realize that concealed carry for its citizens was also a good idea and ..................guys look where we are today

So even if this open carry doesnt clear the house this year, the gates are now open, nation wide, and the tide of gun control at the individual level is turning............

My point..........agitate, agitate, agitate, get involved, vote em in or vote em out......................but dont give up as we can get this done.................

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... I didn't know there was a time you guys couldn't carry except at work. That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Thanks for the history lesson. You are right ... if you want open carry the only way it is gonna happen is for you to be appropriately vocal and persistent.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... I didn't know there was a time you guys couldn't carry except at work. That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

When I was on the street in 85, you could only carry off-duty in your own jurisdiction. Unless you were in uniform performing some sort of community service as a rep of the department. I remember one instance where SWBell was doing a kids fingerprinting thing at a Tulsa mall. My wife (#2) worked for them and wanted me to help. My department, and TPD, allowed me to be in uniform (with weapon) to help make sure the fingerprints they were doing were worth a darn, and not just ink smudges on paper to make the parents feel better.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought we were fairly vocal over HB3354 so now comes the persistence part, hope everyone stays with it.

Persistence and voting will be the key to passing Open Carry. The toughest part of this battle is competing with paid unions and elitists that feel like they know what is better for the citizen than the citizen himself. So, in essence, we have elected officials using constituent's tax money, time, and resources fighting against the "will of the people". Remember these oppressive attitudes when we go to the polls and vote the greedy, power hungry elitists out!

As one member of this post mentioned, open carry is the opportunity to empower and restore liberties to citizens. I won't always open carry, but, I want my freedom restored to allow me to make that decision myself. I'm sick and tired of having my freedom and liberty eroded away!

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 70s when I was commissioned ( in my home state) you carried any where, in uniform, out of uniform, on duty, off duty, any where except on the witness stand in court. I just can't understand the logic of disarming an officer.
But that was a different time in a far away place.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I spread the word today on Gun Talk radio show,some of you may have caught the segment,I called out the NRA on its cowardice to stand up for its rating system by giving oklahoma legislators a pass with political cover for voteing against the veto overide. I even mentioned the bill by name3354(some might have heard)?The hardcore neal knox 2nd amendmentwing of the NRA is DEAD.neals son jeff knox is trying to carry on his fathers no nosence-no surender stance for 2a rights.
http://www.gunvoter.org

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spread the word today on Gun Talk radio show,some of you may have caught the segment,I called out the NRA on its cowardice to stand up for its rating system by giving oklahoma legislators a pass with political cover for voteing against the veto overide. I even mentioned the bill by name3354(some might have heard)?The hardcore neal knox 2nd amendmentwing of the NRA is DEAD.neals son jeff knox is trying to carry on his fathers no nosence-no surender stance for 2a rights.
http://www.gunvoter.org/gunvoter/forum/

I heard you! Thank you!! Dirty Dawg

Latest posts

Top Bottom