Something good on Facebook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outside of harassing family and friends I stumbled across something else good on FB. My favorite old duty station has a FB page. Barbers Point Naval station, Coast Guard side. Lots of pics to bring back memories. Even similar one to my old Zippo before all the color rubbed off. Yes I carried it for years back when I smoked. Someday I will try and find someone talented enough to repaint it for me. I can hold it, run my thumb over the design and it brings back so much. Some bad but mostly good.

CG Zippo.jpg

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outside of harassing family and friends I stumbled across something else good on FB. My favorite old duty station has a FB page. Barbers Point Naval station, Coast Guard side. Lots of pics to bring back memories. Even similar one to my old Zippo before all the color rubbed off. Yes I carried it for years back when I smoked. Someday I will try and find someone talented enough to repaint it for me. I can hold it, run my thumb over the design and it brings back so much. Some bad but mostly good.

View attachment 431845
I’ve still got my old Navy zippos with the ships engraved on them. I avoided the painted ones because most don’t have an engraving under them and the depiction would disappear. Like you they brings back memories. Good and bad. For me mostly good and a bit blurry from the stupid amounts of booze I was always swilling.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I treaded a pack of Kool cigarettes in Vienam for a hand carved swager stick and still have it above the TV console. I still remember that day. 11 cents was the cost of a pack of cigarettes (I didn't smoke and never have) and I believe I wouldn't be alive today if I smoked.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I treaded a pack of Kool cigarettes in Vienam for a hand carved swager stick and still have it above the TV console. I still remember that day. 11 cents was the cost of a pack of cigarettes (I didn't smoke and never have) and I believe I wouldn't be alive today if I smoked.

It varies with people. I smoked for 41 years, about half of which was Kool filter cigarettes and the rest with an unfiltered pipe.

Lungs and all are still in good health...

...maybe God is just looking out for me.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 431845
Were you Coast Guard?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It varies with people. I smoked for 41 years, about half of which was Kool filter cigarettes and the rest with an unfiltered pipe.

Lungs and all are still in good health...

...maybe God is just looking out for me.
I paid .10 Pack in Basic and .11 overseas. The PX back at Ft Leavenworth was .35.
When they said it was going up to .55, I quit smoking with some help I've discussed previously.
Now the VA is saying even quitting in the 70's can still bring on issues. They want to test every Veteran.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 431845
I was stationed at McGregor Missile Range, NM, part of Ft Bliss TX, back in 1963/64. We decided to drive down through that country in the winter a couple of years ago! I liked it there after I got used to the desert, but I had forgotten just how butt ugly that country really is!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever run into a Ray Miller while at McGregor? Would have been at White sands and McGregor in those years

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
When we were running full speed ahead and had both boilers fired up the stack gas in the fire room was so intense that we had to switch to Kools.
I have asbestos scarring in my lungs due to MRO of those boilers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom