pho in okc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I eat there every so often. That stuff is just the right amount of heat IMO.

I keep meaning to order the Huy Fong red chili paste to see if it's similar. Would love to have some of that around the house!

I'll have to try it. Sambal is the chili paste I keep in my fridge. When I'm eating pho, I just go for the sriracha though.

Prostick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am with the consensus. Pho Lien Hoa then Pho Coung. I aways have great service at both places. I have recently tried the VII Asian Bistro and thought it was good. Great atmosphere but service was a little slow. If you go to Pho Hoa, be sure you have cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pho Lien Hoa. Get the P11 or the P14 for the beef pho. My favorite is the P14. I can't get enough of the fatty brisket they use. When you order, try the broth clean with no additives. Then add the culantro, thai basil and bean sprouts. If you hate veggies, then at the very minimum add the thai basil. It's mandatory for the flavor. Squeeze some lime juice if you want some acidity. Then add the hoisin sauce (the black sauce) and sriracha sauce to taste into your broth. I usually only add the sriracha, but lots of people only add the hoisin or no sauce at all.

Next to the napkins, there's these tiny little plates. Squeeze some hoisin sauce and/or sriracha sauce (or both and mixed together) and dip your meat from the pho into this sauce before eating it.

Then next time you go there, order the M1 or the M12 but specify rice noodles. The M1 is BBQ pork with crab and shrimp and the M12 is the BBQ Pork with wontons. They put caramelized onions and pork cracklin in the broth with a fried shrimp cracker, which gives this a super savory flavor.

Then on your 6th or 7th time, order the marinated beef/pork vermicelli dishes to try out the non pho food they serve there, which is also very excellent. I sometimes order my pho with a side of the marinated beef if you're a fan of Korean BBQ. It's basically Korean bulgogi.

There's other great pho places, but Pho Lien Hoa is the standard others are judged and measured by. It's the one place everyone misses when they move out of town. I travel a lot for work and the pho places in Seattle, SF and Chicago just don't compare to the Pho we have here. The only place that I thought had comparable pho was in NYC.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a nice recipe for Pho that my Vietnamese co-worker endorses. It's just a basic recipe, you should add to it according to your own tastes.

Simmer 4 cups chicken broth, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 star anise pod and 1 cinnamon stick for 10 minutes.
Add 2 large sliced chicken breasts and cook 10 more minutes.
Add 8 ounces cooked rice noodles. Top with sliced jalapenos, fresh basil and mint.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah, P3. Gotta have me my tendon and tripe. The lean brisket is the best though. If you pull it out right when they bring you the bowl, it's nearly raw. That always gets eaten first.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pho Lien Hoa is where all the Asian expatriates I know go for their Pho. It's almost always busy, they don't take credit cards and the place has been discovered (and almost overrun) by the Paseo crowd.

Be sure and try the bean paste filled sesame balls. You can thank me later. :urwelcome:

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mix of people that you can see in Pho Lien Hoa is very diverse. Speaking of all this Pho. I might have to head there for lunch tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom