Onion Burger spots in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Johnny’s in ElReno has been my life long favorite. Onion, pickle and slaw. About a year ago wife and I tried Sid’s for the first time. Think we hit it at a bad time. Burgers were so salty we couldn’t finish them. Tried putting more ketchup on them but didn’t help. I had never not finished a burger in my life. Just bad luck of the draw, I think. Best I can figure is somebody made a mistake.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my wife and I moved to Edmond after retirement, we liked the Tucker's on north May (between Memorial and 150th). But we both agree that, over the last two years, something has drastically changed there. Not sure whether it's the ingredients or the preparation methods, but the products are just not as good as they were recently.

Other than Braum's (wife likes the burgers and I love the chili), we really haven't found a strong replacement for Tucker's on this (far west) side of Edmond.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is Dan's old time diner still around in south OKC?

They are still open ,but haven't been there in years. We don't eat out much anymore

Little Mikes .....real .good, 30 miles from house
Tuckers in Norman last time we ate there not that great
Nics too crowded and no parking on Penn. Don't like standing outside burgers real good

Last edited:

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up in El Reno- onion burgers are a way of life here- my youngest days in grade school- my folks were to cheap to eat out much but I went to work for an old fellow who had a shop behind his house and rebuilt generators/starters. I kind of tried hanging around and he put me to work picking out copper out of bad armatures and old field coils, etc. He would take me with him to deliver stuff to the local mechanic shops and we would stop for a burger. The only place that has been there since the 1950's is Roberts and they have a good burger but it is definitely a greasy spoon joint, and I can't hardly eat in there. Sids is good and the guy who started that grew up at Johnney's where his dad, Sid worked forever. Both these places were built about 25 years ago and are very busy. El Reno claims the home of the onion burger and it was supposed to have been started by an old guy named Ross Davis who was trying to make it in the depression era but hamburger was high and onions didn't cost anything. He started smashing a wad of onions directly into about 2 oz of meatball and letting that grill with bun on top soaking up some of the greasy steam. as a young kid I remember them selling 12 for a dollar on a to-go order.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tuckers in Norman last time we ate there not that great
That's where I got mine. There was a flavor in the mix, not overpowering, but present, that I just didn't like. I think it might've been a result of cooking, like maybe something got scorched, but it could've just been a bad batch of some ingredient.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to a newish place last week. Sun Cattle Co. 800 West Sheridan Ave. It is West of downtown OKC and near Jones Assembly. The onions on the burgers are not overwhelming. You can see them bread their oh so delicious onion rings right next to the fryer and the the friend pickles were excellent, too. I did not like my Theta burger much, but I'll be going again for a burger.

Last edited:

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to a newish place last week. Sun Cattle Co. 800 West Sheridan Ave. It is West of downtown OKC and near Jones Assembly. The onions on the burgers are not overwhelming. You can see them bread their oh so delicious onion rings right next to the fryer and the the friend pickles were excellent, too. I did not like my Theta burger much, but I'll be going again for a burger.
The Big Jack is what I had and it did not disappoint

Latest posts

Top Bottom