Planting grass seed in the fall. What kind is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynehead05

Marksman
Reaction score
If what you want is Bermuda I’d wait, or sprig it. Tacoma 31 might have enough time to root in before it goes dormant if it’s sprigged.

Otherwise I’d go Rhizomes Tall Fescue. It’ll repair itself, and you can cut it down to an inch outside of the hottest months of the year. You’ll have to water it being that it’s fescue.

Based on what you’ve said I’d go with an annual cold season grass, and then go Bermuda in the spring. Your soil will be just fine because of the cold season grass roots.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bermuda sprigs…. Go grab a few rolls of Bermuda sod and a sharp shovel and chop up into 3”x3” chunks. Bury the chunks a inch or so below the soil then overseed with a rye or fescue. The soil should be warm enough that the Bermuda will start rooting below the surface all though it won’t be much. It will be ready to take off in the spring though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Rebel fescue seed that will be delivered tomorrow. Supposed to rain a lot for the next few weeks so it's time to plant. Our walnut trees are getting so tall, that they are shading out the bermuda in most of the back yard. This will be an overseeding.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with a full auto airgun that feeds from a hopper and shoots Bermuda seed into the ground. :D
There are companies that spray a seed slurry. They’ve been doing this on the shoulders of Route 66 where they’re doing construction. It’s basically a big water gun on a pintle mounted to a trailer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom