Please ignore this if complaining about the NRA offends you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They call, email and snail mail me incessantly. The only reason I even belong is that the range I belong to requires it. I'm not happy with some of their stances on recent rulings and I'd shitcan them if I could.

Same friend of mine joined for the same reason. He was in contact with the president of his local range, and they required NRA membership before you could even apply. So he sprung for the Lifetime membership - and then and ONLY then found out they had no open spots for membership. You wanna talk about f***ing PISSED. Oh man. He said they contacted him a few years later when some spots opened up and he told them to GFYS.

I am assuming the range gets some kind of perk for being responsible for "referring" the most members for signup. I don't know if that is a thing or not, but that is the first thing that came to my mind when he told me that - besides hoping a range like that "spontaneously" burns to the ground one night when no one is there. Really really sad ****, that people in our "hobby" would screw over fellow shooters like that. Disheartening.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to remove yourself from the N.R.A. mailing list and stop receiving unsolicited emails, snail mail, and telephone calls from the National Rifle Association (N.R.A) it is recommended to call their membership department at their headquarters (1-877-672-2000 or 703-267-1000). Ask the N.R.A. membership department to remove your information including your email address, home address, and phone number from the National Rifle Association mailing list. You may also find more information on the back of your N.R.A. card.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the NRA member FAQ:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly, I've had people get very upset with me (salesmen) when I refuse to give out my cell phone number. Sorry, in my line of work, I am very careful with that, and since I sleep during the day and work at night, I don't want people calling me. I turn my ringer off when I go to sleep anyways, but I never answer a number I don't recognize.

Agreed, there are other issues, as well... I just found this absolutely astonishing. How in the name of the nine hells do you as an organization NOT figure this is going to annoy people to the point they avoid you? There is not only a point of diminishing returns, but there is a point where you are actively driving away your supporters by being that whiny f***ing 2 year-old throwing a tantrum at the grocery store when you don't get every little thing that catches your eye in the candy aisle.

FFS, man, I would NEVER willingly give my money to an organization that values me so LITTLE that they send me that much sh|tmail. This has been my point about the NRA for YEARS... yes, they are (supposedly) fighting for our gun rights, but how many GD'd people are they driving away with their f***ing stupidity???

Well, me, for one. And I give money, and plenty of it, to causes I believe in. NRA, you've lost my money for years and will continue to do so - and I'm guessing I'm not the only one, not by a long shot.

And that's why I'm no longer in the NRA.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect this is the case. I've been told--though have not personally read a policy binder--that the NRA offers insurance to ranges, and one of the conditions of that policy is that all members of the club must be NRA members.
The Ponca City Rifle and Pistol Club requires membership to be NRA members. We get our range insurance through the NRA.
Most ranges couldn't afford the prices out in the market to run a range without the NRA sponsored insurance. I don't know who the underwriter is, and fortunately we have never had to use it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ponca City Rifle and Pistol Club requires membership to be NRA members. We get our range insurance through the NRA.
Most ranges couldn't afford the prices out in the market to run a range without the NRA sponsored insurance. I don't know who the underwriter is, and fortunately we have never had to use it.
Are you in a position to know if that's a condition of the policy, and if so, whether it's a condition from the underwriter or from the NRA?

Latest posts

Top Bottom