Plumbing inspectors re rural location?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've have a hunting cabin/farm house in Seminole. I recently had substantial plumbing work done (new water heater installed and the propane line replaced).

I've been told (by an electrician) that being so far out in the county, govt inspections are not mandatory? I ask, because the work needs to be inspected. If not for code, then for my peace of mind.

Does the county not inspect such work? If they do, which office do I call? If the county govt does not venture that far out of Seminole, who would I get to inspect it to make sure everything is up to code?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My county doesnt have inspectors but yours may be different so should check your county, i have never had to deal with it but i know when dad had his new septic tank and lateral lines put in for his new house the state came and done a inspection for a perk test dont know if they came back to check the work or not. Also you could check with your ins company and see if they know of a inspector.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope dad did it for many many years.. if out of a city's jurisdiction you have to have a state inspector come!!! of course no one does it .!!!

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the trades were 'subject' to inspection by the state but not required. I built a house in Canadian county and was not required to 'call' for inspections but sure enough a state inspector dropped by.
The electrician had just put a pig tail on a dish washer and the inspector said he could not reinstall [slide] it
back under the cabinet since he was not a plumber. Though the aerobic system was required an inspection by the health dept. and that was on the installer.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want your contractor held to code you can call the state inspector yourself! most people cheat and chances of getting caught are slim if you want piece of mind call them.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is if not in any municipality then the only thing that has to be inspected is a septic system. That would be by a state inspector.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's a PERK of living outside of city limits. Any plumber will come out an inspect work, check reviews and find an honest one though, if not, they already know that you don't know plumbing my hiring a plumber to do a non required inspection and you would be easy to take advantage of. "No sir, this all looks wrong, I'll fix it properly for $$$$$$$".

Latest posts

Top Bottom