Pocket .22s....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine's mother has Lupus along with several other health issues and is recoil sensitive. She however is actually interested in carrying. Said friend wants to get her a .22 pocket pistol like a PT-22 or one of the Berettas. I've already explained the difference between killing somone and stopping somone and don't suggest the J-frame route because I've already gone there. I have no experience with these guns..... so does anyone have any experience with the Beretta tomcats or the Taurus? Everything I see online whether youtube seems to show that they are hit and miss.... with some big misses. Not encouraging.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always thought the NAA pocket pistols were cool. They make a wildcat caliber called 25 NAA. It is essentially a 32 acp necked down to a 25 caliber. A little more punch than a 22 with similar recoil, and the reliability of a centerfire. Check it out: http://www.naaminis.com/25naa.html

I don't own one of these but it seems to me that .25 NAA ammo would be a little difficult to source, or am I off base here?

-S

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and don't suggest the J-frame route because I've already gone there.

I'm assuming you mean a Jframe in 38; if you mean all Jframes then disregard the rest of my post.

What about a Smith 317 Jframe in 22lr? You could clean the trigger up a little and put a set of Crimson Trace grips on it and have a nice little carry gun. The 317 will have a higher capacity than the others as well.

A revolver would be my pick for carry in a 22lr incase one of your rounds doesn't ignite; no tap, rack just pull the trigger again.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think your on the right track with the P22. I own an NAA 22 mag and it's a handful and it's single action so I wouldn't want that to be my primary since it's so small. JMO

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You could go old school and try to get her to shoot a Colt 1903 .32acp(All steel mild recoil) FN/Browning 1910 .32acp same quotation applies, or smaller an Colt 1908 Vest Pocket .25acp, same quotation applies. These guns unlike their later brothers and sisters are very easy to manipulate, you don't have the horrendous spring pressure to contend with. The are sleek, small, and very functional, an accurate. Another is one of the many imported Walther/Manurhin PP in .32. Most of these have very smooth double action triggers, not to hard to operate the slide, are safe to carry with the hammer down over a live round, and reloads are the same as our more modern guns.
[Broken External Image]
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0403.jpg

[Broken External Image]
PP
[Broken External Image]
Here's a pic, or two of all of them so you get an idea of their size's.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN1871.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN1877.jpg

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pocket .22s are hit or miss, kinda the nature of the beast. I've owned both a Beretta 21A, and now a PT-22- both flawless. I prefer the PT-22 because of the consistent DA, I've alwyas had a hard time with DA/SA transition, and carrying the 21A cocked-and-locked is problematic, as the safety is kind of small.

If you had a chance to shoot before you/she buys, that would be best, but either one is a good choice (providing you get one that runs;) ).

The absolute best pocket .22, bar none, is the Walther TPH (IMHO), but it has been discontinued and runs around $450 on GB...:smash:

I'm guessing with lupus, the tip-up barrels on the 21 and PT-22 are a big issue? It would have to be ordered, most likely, but the Beretta Cheetah comes in .380 with a tip-up...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pocket .22s are hit or miss, kinda the nature of the beast. I've owned both a Beretta 21A, and now a PT-22- both flawless. I prefer the PT-22 because of the consistent DA, I've alwyas had a hard time with DA/SA transition, and carrying the 21A cocked-and-locked is problematic, as the safety is kind of small.

If you had a chance to shoot before you/she buys, that would be best, but either one is a good choice (providing you get one that runs;) ).

The absolute best pocket .22, bar none, is the Walther TPH (IMHO), but it has been discontinued and runs around $450 on GB...:smash:

I'm guessing with lupus, the tip-up barrels on the 21 and PT-22 are a big issue? It would have to be ordered, most likely, but the Beretta Cheetah comes in .380 with a tip-up...

Thats the model 86, and I think they have been discontinued, but you can still find them floating around gun broker.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little off topic but has anyone considered the little 32 H&R mag?
I've got one in a J frame and it's a pleasure to shoot.
Plus downrange characterisitics are similar to 38spl without the recoil.
I think you could load the 32 S&W's in it also.
A little tough to find one as they only made around 2000 I think.
I think ruger has it in either the gp or sp revolver.
But something to consider.

As for the 22, well a lot of people have been killed by them over the years so it's better than a sharp stick for sure.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
no experience with the Berettas, but my experience with the Taurus PT22 is that someone who is recoil sensitive due to health issues would probably have an extremely hard time operating the slide and pulling the trigger smooth enough to maintain any accuracy. The one I shot was accurate enough, but my sister in law couldn't hit squat with it, nor could she operate the slide.

You can load using the tip up barrel, but I can't remember if that cocked the gun too. If not and one had a misfire you would have to be able to rack the slide.

I wouldn't mind having one, but I would NOT recommend one to someone who is either a new shooter or might have troubles operating the gun.

Personally I would look at something like a Walther P22 or a Bersa Thunder 22 or whatever the model is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom