Pocket .22s....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can load using the tip up barrel, but I can't remember if that cocked the gun too. If not and one had a misfire you would have to be able to rack the slide.

The 21-style guns are meant to be loaded from the breech; malfunction clearance uses a squib rod, since there is no extractor to remove a casing. Like a revo with a case under the star, a failure means going to Plan B and under cover.

It is a balance of poor options, and a revolver may be the best choice for reliability, if she will carry it (they are a good bit bigger than the 21s).

ch-47 mech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my dad has a beretta .22 its a fun little gun but like stated above the slide is extremely stiff to operate and the only ammo we have found that it will cycle is the stingers everything else have to pop up the barrel and eject them yourself.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing with lupus, the tip-up barrels on the 21 and PT-22 are a big issue? It would have to be ordered, most likely, but the Beretta Cheetah comes in .380 with a tip-up...

Yep, you nailed it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I figure the best thing I can do is find one of these PT-22s or Berettas and buy it myself and put it through the ringer myself to make sure it's GTG before giving it to her.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure the best thing I can do is find one of these PT-22s or Berettas and buy it myself and put it through the ringer myself to make sure it's GTG before giving it to her.

She may or may not appreciate that but I'm like you. Make sure it functions correctly and easy enough for her before giving it to her. You'll sleep a heck of a lot better knowing you did your part. Don't forget to have her take it out on a nice day and get real familar with it also.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little off topic but has anyone considered the little 32 H&R mag?
I've got one in a J frame and it's a pleasure to shoot.
Plus downrange characterisitics are similar to 38spl without the recoil.
I think you could load the 32 S&W's in it also.
A little tough to find one as they only made around 2000 I think.
I think ruger has it in either the gp or sp revolver.
But something to consider.

As for the 22, well a lot of people have been killed by them over the years so it's better than a sharp stick for sure.

never owned one, but have talked to many that have and they have a real following. Might consider this..
Anything that has to have a slide pulled back or has Any recoil may not be realistic for this individual. The p22/22 or beretta with the tip up barrel might be a great option for them...not the best, but good for the situation.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is also the Bersa/Firestorm .22.

Hard to find but desirable pistols. Same frame as the Bersa Thunder .380, which are very popular, and are basically an Argentinian PPK knockoff with a few differences. I've shot a .380 Thunder on several occasions and they are solid, useful guns. The triggers are good. I can't remember how hard it was to rack the slide -- it's a blowback pistol, of course.

I think the .22 version would be sweet as a "kit gun", for plinking, or for introducing new shooters to the art. Load it up with CCI Stingers and you might have a "bare minimum recoil" defense pistol. It is just that the Firestorm .22s are really hard to find. They must not make many of them. Spare magazines are also scarce.

Couple of links:

http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm.htm

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/images/pistols/fs22.jpg

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said .22 but I'd like to see her stay with a center fire.. under the circumstances I'd like to recommend a Beretta JetFire 950 .25, outstanding gun.. there are 2 models one old one newer the difference is in the magazine I think.. Tip up barrel, and a safety much like that of a 1911.. Super sweet gun.. 8 rounds too.. I own the old one and can testify its awesome, much smaller then the bobcats etc..

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of production but Beretta used to make a 950 in .22 short and .25 acp. There are some nice ones available, I think a lot of them were "sock drawer guns". They are single action and have a tilt barrel so you don't have to rack the slide to fire the gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom