Policing for Profit: Oklahoma DA halts I-40 drug stops after criticism from judge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is that they (contractors) do not have accountability to the public and the only way they can be used in government service - not just policing but really any government task - is with very close oversight and tightly tailored limits to their activities.

That's certainly part of the problem - especially when the government as is more often than not the case hasn't the necessary people (in terms of numbers, education, skill set, and in many cases willingness) to provide the necessary oversight.

malbrour

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess i don't understand this. Are the contractors deputized? if so, under what legal authority? The local news is always showing officer imitators, and tell us not to stop for anyone but real law enforcement. What are they gonna do when someone says "FU Mr Rent A Cop" and drives off?

I see a real financial conflict of interest. There's a lot of money to be made from seizures. Several years ago this happened on I-10 in Louisiana years back until a federal sting caught the local law enforcement in the act of planting fake drugs to get some nice loot.
Whenever public officials decide on their own to pay private firms with taxpayer money, you have a perfect opportunity for racketeering to occur. Does the DA's brother in law own the contractor company? Taxpayers should call for an investigation by the Feds, not that you can trust them much either.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was stopped along I40 in Arkansas and posted the story somewhere on the forums once already. The LEO was ready to hang us for a pot seed, that just plain takes it too far IMHO.

I see LEO's all the time who drive, talk and act as if they are above the law. If they are officers who are there to uphold and enforce the law shouldn't they be the shining example of what following the law is and means? Do they ever have training on ethics? We all know they train on how to shoot, where to be for cover, how to handle a traffic stop or break down doors to do their jobs but what about how to hold themselves to the same standards as the people they are there to serve. And when I say act and talk as if they are above the law I mean things like speeding and driving recklessly while off duty. I knew someone who was a Lawton city officer and was in a vehicle with him once, was in a residential neighborhood where the speed limit was 25 with him driving 45 to 50 and talking on a cell phone. Heard stories that I will not repeat but where clear criminal acts were performed. But these are the people the public at large trusts with firearms even in places where a citizen can not carry.

As far as the stops and taking of money from people, if it is huge amounts and/or found along with illegal substances I can see the reason for seizure. But at the same time if no drugs are found along with the money at what point in time does the law say you can carry 5000 or even 50000 in cash? There are some times where it is more desirable to carry cash to use for a purchase than to try and write a check or have a credit/debit card. For one purchasing a vehicle. Purchased my pickup without a loan, 5000 out the door. Had the money in the bank but the bank was already closed so couldn't go just get it. ATM's have limits on the amount that can be pulled and debit card was limited to 3000 per day. . . had to make two payments on two different days for the vehicle, wish I had just gotten cash before leaving town to cover it.

I can understand private companies being used for training too but that should be a FLAT FEE not a continued service fee based on a percentage. Same thing happens with the red light camera's and speed camera's and we all know that those private companies have done things to create more money flow. My step daughter got hit with a speed cam after picking up a vehicle here in OK and driving back to Phoenix. Was doing 56 in a 45 while talking on a cell phone, complained that it was on a downhill slope and that the speed limit abruptly dropped. Sure she could fight it but if she does she will get hit with the using a cell phone while driving and so would her boyfriend who was right behind her and got a warning as he slowed down a bit more. Basically told her she may as well pay and hope that a person doesn't review it because if they do she will get another ticket and fighting it will guarantee a review.

You hear all the time about how millions of dollars are confiscated here or there but you never hear about how that money is put to use in the community. And who knows how much never makes it in to the coffers either. Simple enough I feel that if a system is put in to place for training it should be a fee for the training, if money is found due to the training it should NEVER go to a private company. Money that is found due to a drug stop should partly go to funding of the department that found it and towards programs to help the people of that area. And all the companies that are making money off the camera's and such should get paid a single fee for the installation and a flat monthly fee for maintenance of the equipment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom