Poll: Ever had to to show your CC permit to a LEO?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever had to show your CC permit to a LEO while you were conceal carrying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zodiacflyer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than traffic stops, no. Has been pretty hassle free, except for one stop by OHP. I handed him my DL and Permit with the permit on top, and said I am carrying on my hip, IWB. It took him a second, then he got all in my @ss ,saying "WHAT'S THE FIRST THING YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SAY TO ME?" Kinda surprised me. I responded (and it took a lot of control to not holler at the guy) The first words out of my mouth was that I was carrying. He comes back with you should have told me that when I was at the back of the car. (?...WTF???) Yeah..like I'm gonna hang out the window and holler that I have gun.... two things wrong with that. (1) Had a back surgery, and that twisting movement doesn't come easy anymore, and (2) I know how I would have responded back in the day when I was coming up on a car and the driver hollers ANYTHING about a gun. (Unsnap, call it in....) Most OHP are cool, but this one had my ears burnin'.

On the plus side, I drove off with a warning, (verbal) after he ran me for warrants.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of the 82 people who took the poll, several corrected their selection to 'never' once the question was clarified.. making it well over 40 out of the 82 people or close to 50% of us who have 'never' been asked to show our concealed carry license to a LEO once we notified them we were carrying a weapon. A few others have only been asked one time. I don't foresee that average changing a great deal under open carry. A lot of 'Chicken Littles' are concerned about LEO's harassing them if open carrying. I think if we carry in good holsters and maintain a good attitude toward LEO's the averages we see in this poll with be about the same we will see with open carry.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of the 82 people who took the poll, several corrected their selection to 'never' once the question was clarified.. making it well over 40 out of the 82 people or close to 50% of us who have 'never' been asked to show our concealed carry license to a LEO once we notified them we were carrying a weapon. A few others have only been asked one time. I don't foresee that average changing a great deal under open carry. A lot of 'Chicken Littles' are concerned about LEO's harassing them if open carrying. I think if we carry in good holsters and maintain a good attitude toward LEO's the averages we see in this poll with be about the same we will see with open carry.

For the most part I agree with you. I think most officers will let it go and it will be a non-issue for them in most cases.

I think there will be a few officers that don't agree with open carry and will want to harass people, but there are a few rotten apples in any crowd. The other issue is the citizen that call in MWAG. How will the officer who normally wouldn't do anything proceed, this is my biggest concern is how officers will respond to these types of calls.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I didnt know you had to only show your permit if asked be LE. I've shown it and my DL and insurance every time i get stopped. Last time i didnt get the 3rd degree about the utah non resident permit thankfully.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so I didnt know you had to only show your permit if asked be LE. I've shown it and my DL and insurance every time i get stopped. Last time i didnt get the 3rd degree about the utah non resident permit thankfully.

All you have to do is make verbal notification to the LEO.. something like, "Officer, just want to let you know up-front that I have a Oklahoma concealed carry permit and I have a weapon on me / or in the vehicle." Then the officer will usually ask where it is at... and if he / she wants to, they can ask to see the handgun license to verify you actually have it on your person-- which is required by law. In the 17 years I've had my license, no LEO ever asked to see my CC permit once I made verbal notification.. but they have asked to see my DL & insurance verification... once at a traffic accident and at a DL / insurance check point... where they were stopping everyone.

tronnix

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only shown when asked for ID, like a traffic stop. If I pass a LEO say walking in one direction and comes from the other, I'm not going to say btw here look I'm carrying. Been threw a few road blocks and unless they ask for my ID I'm not going to give them any reason to be suspicious.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 traffic stops and 2 road blocks. Informed the officer and was never asked to produce the little piece of plastic. 3 written warnings and 1 verbal abuse by an arrogant little whatever, that couldn't even tell me what I was doing that was wrong.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Officer I am armed, my handgun is (insert location of carry) and my license is in my wallet in the right hip pocket. How would you like to proceed?"

My cover shirt once blew open leaving a QT with my arms full of sacks of ice, an officer was exiting right behind me as I turned to get in the truck I was obviously exposed he was looking right at my XD, I stopped and asked do you need to see my permit the response was no you're good, be careful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom