Practice Semi-Auto Handgun Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got a Walther P22 for 2 reasons - I wanted to get something my 10 year old son could shoot comfortably and for me to practice with some cheaper ammo. Along with my usual 50-100 rounds each of 38, 9mm, and 40, I will now shoot 200+ rounds of 22. It has definitely helped me with my trigger control and accuracy. I recently took a female co-worker to the range, her first time to ever shoot a gun, and she did very well with the P22 (hit the 9ring first shot and all were on the paper even out to 15 yards), but not with the 9mm (all over the place) and she didn't even want to try the 38 or 40. So I think that shooting a 22 will help improve accuracy and develop good habits, especially new or inexperienced shooters.

Another thing that I have found helpful is a laser. I don't want to start a debate over whether or not to have a laser on a carry gun, but I have a uni-max rail laser that I sometimes practice with. That red dot is a great visual aid when trying figure out what you are doing and shows how much just a little flinch or anticipation of recoil can affect your impact.

Probably the best advice, though, is to get some good training first to develop good habits and then practice, practice, practice.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All of the things you mentioned will help. Here's a couple of other tips.

When dry firing, have the shooter extend the pistol and line up the sights on a distant or small object. Then the other person lays a dime on the front sight (if the sight will accommodate this). The shooter then dry fires the pistol and follows through, trying to keep the dime from falling off.

The other is also a buddy drill. Let the other person load the cylinder or magazine at the range. Mix some dummy cartridges in with the live rounds. If the gun moves at all when the hammer falls on a dummy cartridge, the error is plain to see.

In my practice sessions, I always start and finish with 10 rounds slow fire for group. If I'm unhappy with the results, I'll repeat the drill. If that isn't satisfactory, it's off to the house for more dry fire. You can't chase accuracy, it has to come to you naturally.

I love these tips, I will use them. My last trip to the range was very disapointing.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love these tips, I will use them. My last trip to the range was very disapointing.

Actually if shooting a revolver or auto balance the dime or penny right behind the front sight. Start out slow, then try to speed up. One of the best tip's I ever got was years ago as an LEO "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Once you learn that and can be timed you will think to yourself that your moving slow, when you look at the time from draw to first round you'll be amazed at just how fast you were.

jroberts1968

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice with what you will carry, I am a firm believer in carry one weapon learn it shoot it carry it. I have several pistols but carry my KHAR P45 I love my 1911 and shoot them often as I can. I have not carried one on me in years. What ever she will carry that is her practice weopon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom