Predator hunting tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to get into predator hunting, and I would appreciate any tips that might help me be a little more successful. Things like the set-up, time of day, how long to call in one set, whatever ya got would be appreciated. I will mainly be after yotes, but would love to get a cat. Just got me a relatively inexpensive Johnny Stewart PM-4 to get started. Also would love to get into some crow hunting when the season comes around. Thanks

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the same call, I play high pitched cottontail for 15-20 minutes max. Any of the crow calls will work and the crows will come in a HURRY if they've never been hunted, the high pitched cottontail will call crows in off the roost right at sunrise pretty well, I had a swarm of 1000 plus come over me in my best crow spot a few times with it

jhopkins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coyotes usually come in pretty quick and normally from the down wind side, if nothing I usually move after about 30min. If I think that there are cats in the area I will set longer, make sure you scan the edges for cats they seem to set back and look things over before coming across openings.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch the wind if you are hunting coyotes. I have called them at all times of day and night so I would go hunting whenever you can. Long periods of colder weather are usually when I do the best around here. Don't get too hung up on sounds. Johnny Stewart sounds are pretty good for coyotes and cats.
I never sit more than 15 minutes unless it is the last stand of the day and I don't have time to get somewhere else.
We called 18 coyotes in a couple of weeks ago on a hunt in Texas and 80 percent showed up in less than 6 minutes. Make sure you know what your gun will and will not do before you ever go hunting.

Thats a few pointers. Don't forget to take some pictures.
Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom