Preparing for Travel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you would be looking at is a 1,000 mile overland hike.
One site to look at is called White Blaze which is for backpackers attempting to hike the 2,150 mile Appalachian Trail that runs from Florida to Maine.

When I attempted my thru-hike back in 2007 (only made it about half way) I found the very active and constantly updated White Blaze Community of hikers invaluable for the preparations I needed for my upcoming long distance hike (backpacking) trip including:

- Lightweight equipment (1,000 miles is a long way to haul heavy stuff).
- Cooking choices in stoves and accessories (kerosene {white-gas}, alcohol, multi-fuel, wood, propane).
- Foods to carry (i.e. freeze-dried vs. dehydrated vs. fresh) vs. scavenging vs. commercial eateries.
- Food preparations prior to the trip - shopping, dehydrating, freeze-drying, packaging, cooking.
- Sleeping options like tents, hammocks, 'cowboy', bags/pads, dening, hostels/hotels.
- Trail skills like first-aid, water, water scavenging/purification, self-protection, emergency shelters, etc.

Even though the White Blaze Community is primarily about the Appalachian Trail, it is also about everything related to long distance hiking and the advice given is NOT Brand promotional nor biased.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php
This is a good point. Long distance hiking is serious stuff. I’ve wanted to do a few, haven’t gotten around to it. It’s a serious commitment. My father in law hiked a decent portion of the pacific crest trail, I don’t remember how far. I don’t think he did much more than a couple hundred miles. Spent 60 days doing it as his post retirement getaway trip. He had to have care packages shipped to him so that he could pick them up at towns near the trail as he went. This guy packs liiiiight too. Cuts the little zipper pull cords off his backpacks and counting sheets of toilet paper kinda light.

Speaking of which, he wrote a book about it. He’s a lifelong pastor, and rockstar, so the book has a lot of religious stuff in it too. I could probably source a few copies if it’s something that tickles anyone’s pickle.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was notified through the 'trail grapevine' while on the Trail that I needed to call home, which I did at the Trail Conservancy Office in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, when I got there.

I had to leave because of an emergency at home. After all the money I had spent prepping for my thru-hike plus air transportation to Maine (my starting point) I couldn't afford the airline cost back so I went by train. It still took me almost three days to get back to Oklahoma City via the local Mark light rail from Harper's Ferry > D.C. Amtrak to Chicago > Amtrak to Ft. Worth > Greyhound to OKC. By the time I got back home the 'emergency' had already been pretty much resolved.

I saw and learned so much about a part of our country that I had never been to, met so many great people, but probably more importantly I learned a lot more about myself. I'm older and wiser now but if I could do it all again, a team of wild horses couldn't stop me from being on that Trail again!
Sorry you had to abandon it, but still sounds like quite an adventure. I think I'd opt to do the CDT if I manage to at some point.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry you had to abandon it, but still sounds like quite an adventure. I think I'd opt to do the CDT if I manage to at some point.
Yeah, that's one of the big four (PCT, CDT, AT, ADT) I would have also liked to be able to do.
This is a good point. Long distance hiking is serious stuff. I’ve wanted to do a few, haven’t gotten around to it. It’s a serious commitment. My father in law hiked a decent portion of the pacific crest trail, I don’t remember how far. I don’t think he did much more than a couple hundred miles. Spent 60 days doing it as his post retirement getaway trip. He had to have care packages shipped to him so that he could pick them up at towns near the trail as he went. This guy packs liiiiight too. Cuts the little zipper pull cords off his backpacks and counting sheets of toilet paper kinda light.

Speaking of which, he wrote a book about it. He’s a lifelong pastor, and rockstar, so the book has a lot of religious stuff in it too. I could probably source a few copies if it’s something that tickles anyone’s pickle.
As I understand it the PCT is one of the most difficult of the four major long distance trails in the United States (PCT, CDT, AT, ADT) because of the climate changes and lack of on-trail/near-trail support available. My drespect to your Father for his attempt 👍

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one of the big four (PCT, CDT, AT, ADT) I would have also liked to be able to do.

As I understand it the PCT is one of the most difficult of the four major long distance trails in the United States (PCT, CDT, AT, ADT) because of the climate changes and lack of on-trail/near-trail support available. My drespect to your Father for his attempt 👍
He’s a surprising man. Slender, mild mannered, turned 70 this year, and will absolutely hike somebody to death. we took 3 days a few years ago to hike to into the Grand Canyon and back up, covered 30+ miles and crazy elevation, he just needed to take 5 minutes to sit down at the end and drink some water before he was ready to roll. Was a pastor most of his life, is a really great guy, and also recently was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. I hope to be as interesting of an individual as he is when I’m his age.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He’s a surprising man. Slender, mild mannered, turned 70 this year, and will absolutely hike somebody to death. we took 3 days a few years ago to hike to into the Grand Canyon and back up, covered 30+ miles and crazy elevation, he just needed to take 5 minutes to sit down at the end and drink some water before he was ready to roll. Was a pastor most of his life, is a really great guy, and also recently was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. I hope to be as interesting of an individual as he is when I’m his age.
Was that the 'Angel Trail' at the Grand Canyon? I've hiked that myself (lucky to get the opportunity when another hiker cancelled) and though fairly short as trails go, the elevation (and temp changes) are nothing to laugh at. I would have loved to have been able to stay at the Phantom Ranch, but I couldn't get reservations - oh well.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was that the 'Angel Trail' at the Grand Canyon? I've hiked that myself (lucky to get the opportunity when another hiker cancelled) and though fairly short as trails go, the elevation (and temp changes) are nothing to laugh at. I would have loved to have been able to stay at the Phantom Ranch, but I couldn't get reservations - oh well.
It was. We spent a year planning and hoping to win the lottery, and we did. Amazing trip, wonderful camping too. My now wife fell and sprained her ankle halfway down, hiked all the way down, kept up for the day down there exploring, and passed on the free helicopter back to the top.

We talk about going back, but I think we’re gonna make a trip through Bryce Canyon and Arches before making it back to that giant hole in the ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom