Prepping with littles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we are all at different stages of life (some of you have grown kids, others with little ones, or "soon to be preppers" (Eyecyou, congrats by the way), etc.) so some of you may have already thought through this or will soon be thinking about this...

My little is not even 6 months old yet & needs are ever-changing, so it is hard to stock up on things without it being obsolete pretty quickly. I cloth diaper, so I don't need to buy that stuff and I've got a couple cans of formula just in case, but if I NEEDED to use it, each can would only last 3.5 days. On the other hand... If I buy a ton, it would most likely have to be donated in just a few short months. (This reminds me of the episode on TWD when "Judith" was born & they risked their lives just to get formula)

What have you done to prep with little ones or any resources on things to consider when making a BOB for them? Right now it is a diaper backpack with a little of EVERYTHING in there & a moby wrap to carry him. I have started to make "baby food" by dehydrating & turning into a powder to reconstitute, but that's it.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. I've put together a small bag with the knoledge that nothin in it will last. I've also built a wagon. It started as somethin to pull her around in now its turned into a tactical wagon and my wifes about to kill me, but it will help to tote her and gear around when were on foot patrol

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Powder milk will work in a pinch....according to my mom, I lived on commodity powdered milk from about 3 months on. She also used milnot.

I would also say to buy a goat or cow, then you would have just about all the milk you could want for a baby. Or you could do what most of the rest of the world does as far as feeding.

Anytime I get to thinking about big shtf scenario, I kinda ask myself how do 3rd world or primative people handle problems. Most of our (modern) problems aint really problems. We tend to over complicate our lives in our modern society. Life is really not that hard except we are just accustomed to mere convenience.

As far as a BOB...id recommend anti diarrheal meds, karo syrup, antibiotics, and any salves or creams. Diarrhea, fever, ear infections, coughs and medicines to help those symtoms would rank higher on my list than diapers or formula.

Disclaimer.....my kids are adults (legally)...maybe I should say grown or on their own lol.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Powder milk will work in a pinch....according to my mom, I lived on commodity powdered milk from about 3 months on. She also used milnot.

I would also say to buy a goat or cow, then you would have just about all the milk you could want for a baby. Or you could do what most of the rest of the world does as far as feeding.

Anytime I get to thinking about big shtf scenario, I kinda ask myself how do 3rd world or primative people handle problems. Most of our (modern) problems aint really problems. We tend to over complicate our lives in our modern society. Life is really not that hard except we are just accustomed to mere convenience.

As far as a BOB...id recommend anti diarrheal meds, karo syrup, antibiotics, and any salves or creams. Diarrhea, fever, ear infections, coughs and medicines to help those symtoms would rank higher on my list than diapers or formula.

Disclaimer.....my kids are adults (legally)...maybe I should say grown or on their own lol.

I agree that most 1stWP are not actually problems at all, just minor inconveniences! I would love to own a goat or twelve! I was raised on goat's milk.. It wasn't all that baaaaaaaad! I think my subdivision would probably get upset though! I have some infant meds on hand, but not enough & no abx. If I have to worry about anti-diarrhea meds for him, you better believe I'm worrying about a diaper to contain it!!! I think I'm over-thinking it because like you said, most modern baby stuff is convenience, not necessity.

A wagon would be an excellent idea, Eyecyou. I think something with big tires and high sides! I was just going to carry him, but he's already 16 pounds, then carrying a backpack... I'd weigh one and a half times what I usually do!

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A wagon would be an excellent idea, Eyecyou. I think something with big tires and high sides! I was just going to carry him, but he's already 16 pounds, then carrying a backpack... I'd weigh one and a half times what I usually do!

Mine are now 6 and 2 but this is what I still use for the 28 pound 2 year old:

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Transit-Child-Carrier-Black/dp/B001M0NRSO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

They don't make them anymore and got mine on eBay for $30 or $40. Better than the other 4 packs/babybjorn I tried and can pack a little too! Also great for strengthening the adult that carries too!

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine are now 6 and 2 but this is what I still use for the 28 pound 2 year old:

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Transit-Child-Carrier-Black/dp/B001M0NRSO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

They don't make them anymore and got mine on eBay for $30 or $40. Better than the other 4 packs/babybjorn I tried and can pack a little too! Also great for strengthening the adult that carries too!

Awesome! I'm curious as to why none of the links showed a kid in it... I only saw a teddy bear! $200 bucks is pretty steep, but I'll be keeping an eye out for a bargain. Thanks!

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I showed one of these to my wife when she told me I couldn't hunt if I had the kid with me!!

Awsesome. Mine falls asleep in it about half the time.

Here he is in it after about 45 minutes of walking around the block:

Jules.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom