price of WM 9mm ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, if you guys are buying retail ammo and shooting more than a box a month, there should be a law that you must start reloading. I know all about set up costs and such, and loading 9mm sucks on anything that is not mechanical in some capacity, but $9.95 for federal, hms? was about $15, wwb (which is Waaaay overated) was upwards of $15. This is why I used to load it on a single stage in 1990. Guess components have gone up, and are harder to lay hands on, but that is a hard price to swallow, and that is plain jane full metal jacket ammunition.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah my bro and I were just having this discussion this morning. I'm about done buying commercial ammo (with some exceptions) and am reloading 38 Spl with a press right next to this laptop. ;-)

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed loading .38 special, simple and you can make much better performing ammo for a lot less than the premium stuff (or target for that matter.)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
with j&k bullets i'm loading loading 9mm for around $5.50 a box. hardly worth the hassle when you can buy ammo for $8.97 from wally world. the real savings come when you mold your own. accuracy may suffer some if you don't size but cost become almost nothing. i don't really count powder because there is 7000 grains in a pound. lets just say that a pound goes a long way. also, i have such a stash of powder that its almost impossible to factor.

i'll start molding 9 and cut the cost to nothing but primer and powder. how does 5 cents a round sound? thats why you cast and load!

i already have cast boolits for 38/357, 44, 45. been shooting these for almost free for years.

save your brass and buy some equipment. it WILL pay off.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What dlbleak said.

I've been casting my own for around 30 years.
Last time I checked I was reloading 38spl for about 3 cents a piece.
Biggest cost is primers.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with j&k bullets i'm loading loading 9mm for around $5.50 a box. hardly worth the hassle when you can buy ammo for $8.97 from wally world. the real savings come when you mold your own. accuracy may suffer some if you don't size but cost become almost nothing. i don't really count powder because there is 7000 grains in a pound. lets just say that a pound goes a long way. also, i have such a stash of powder that its almost impossible to factor.

i'll start molding 9 and cut the cost to nothing but primer and powder. how does 5 cents a round sound? thats why you cast and load!

i already have cast boolits for 38/357, 44, 45. been shooting these for almost free for years.

save your brass and buy some equipment. it WILL pay off.

I bet you are actually cheaper than that per box, unless you are having to buy your used brass, but even then should be a bit less. for $5.50 you can load a nice fmj or even hp, for sure a plated bullet.

short of buying golddots, I cannot remember the last box of retail 9mm or other caliber I have purchased (pistol at least). My reloads kill paper and other breathing or not thing I have shot with them. Not as pretty as factory and not new brass, but still work just fine.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
purchased lead smelting equipment awhile back... more as a backup
may have to melt some lead soon, just to try it out.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone point me to the aisle where the 8.97 9mm is at? Cheapest my local WM keeps in stock is somewhere around $12 per 50. Right now, I am building 125gr CMJs at around .09 per round.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just figured up my cost on 9mm. Using J&K bullets they run about 9 cents a round, they'll be a little less, maybe down to 8 cents, when I place a bulk order, probably next time. That puts me at $4.50 a box versus $9 + tax, so I'm saving a bit over 50%. If you want to shoot several hundred rounds a month like my wife likes, it definitely adds up, plus I really enjoy reloading some days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom