proper scope for a stag super varminter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Nikon optics on both my POF P415 and P308. I use the Monarch 2.5X10X50 on both rifles. The P415 has a PEPR mount and the P308 has a AD Recon mount. I don't worry about the weight, as you can see from the pic, with the bipod and suppressor the P415 weighs close to 12lbs. I have previously used the M223 and the 2.5x10x40 and really love the current 50mm model (great in low light conditions). Where I currently hunt, about 600-700 yrds would be the max shot taken or I might consider a higher power. Nikon's Spot On website is fantasic for use with the BDC.

i1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_IMAG0192_zpsa8ba6dde.jpg

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For pdogs a lot of magnification is good. Shots don't have to be fast if you are willing to wait on another one to come out. For coyotes one with a lower maginfication or a large field of view would help you get on target easier with a moving target. Paying for good optics is money well spent but you don't want to put more scope on than you need. For what you describe you should want a good scope. You could get a cheap scope to do the job but it may not be as reliable as you want.

As I get older I want more magnification too. You also might want a lot of light gathering for low light shots or maybe a lighted reticle. Think of the features you want and then look at the options.

You might want to see how accurate the gun is before you choose a scope. If it shoots really good put a really good scope on it. You could take a scope off another rifle for testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom