PTO issues - John Deere 4720

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Something is up with the PTO on our tractor. PTO speed doesn’t change hardly when increasing RPM’s. What should I look for to diagnose the issue? PTO clutch? I’m at a loss here.. it’s above my mechanical skills.

Time to call tractor tech out?

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s probably above my mechanical skills as well, but is it happening without an implement hooked up? If you’re having the issue with an implement hooked up, you might start with the gear box on the implement. Have you checked the lubrication in the gear box? Do you have another implement to see if it does the same thing?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It’s probably above my mechanical skills as well, but is it happening without an implement hooked up? If you’re having the issue with an implement hooked up, you might start with the gear box on the implement. Have you checked the lubrication in the gear box? Do you have another implement to see if it does the same thing?

Auger did it. Brush hog did it.

It’s a PTO issue. Just don’t know what.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know just enough to be dangerous with this kind of problem. I believe that your tractor has a PTO valve switch that starts at a lower pressure and then switches to full pressure. It could be as simple as the valve not opening all the way for some reason. If it were me, I’d get someone to look at it that knows what to look for.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look around in the cab for a switch that is “soft start” for pto. If your tractor has one the image on the switch will look like your pto emblem but then a squiggly line across it. I’m not saying it’s your problem for sure but if your tractor has that feature it’s possible. Had a daggum disc mower that would hardly cut once. I could tell it was pto rpm related. Near as I could figure I had accidentally hit the switch in the middle of trying to get back in the saddle after hitting a coyote hole. Flipped that switch and was back going.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to tractorbynet.com

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/compact-john-deere-4720-pto-problems.440353/
Welcome to TBN
Try to get your hands on the service tech manual for your 4720. Very handy to have, and could pay for itself if it saves just one trip to the dealer.
Member joecdeere possibly may have a download .pdf that covers your 4720.

Take a chance and send a PM (personal message) to joecdeere and include your email. He has been very generous and helpful in the past. As well he may already be on it too. Great member here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom