public land waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.M.F

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well since I can't find a hunting lease I am wondering if anybody knows of a good place to hunt waterfowl on public land. I have never been duck hunting before so I could use all the help i can get. Thanks

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well since I can't find a hunting lease I am wondering if anybody knows of a good place to hunt waterfowl on public land. I have never been duck hunting before so I could use all the help i can get. Thanks

My brother and I have hunted ducks around Lake Thunderbird in years past, but have not in the past few so others on here may have a more up to date information about thunderbird than I do.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand Thunderbird gets alot of pressure. I have been to Drummond Flats, Its pretty nice. Get in and get set up by 4 am or you wont have good place. You dont need a huge setup there either.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hackberry flat near Frederick is sometimes very good. The WMA (can't remember its name) at Tom Steed lake is also sometimes excellent, especially for geese. These are maybe two good hours or a little more from OKC.

Plenty of adult supervision (game wardens) at both places. Good dove at steed, and steel is not required except where the waterfowl area is. CB

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hackberry flat near Frederick is sometimes very good. The WMA (can't remember its name) at Tom Steed lake is also sometimes excellent, especially for geese. These are maybe two good hours or a little more from OKC.

Plenty of adult supervision (game wardens) at both places. Good dove at steed, and steel is not required except where the waterfowl area is. CB

I thought non toxic shot was now required at all WMA's in the state.

charlster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. New to waterfowl and want to get into it but don't really have the experience or equipment to start. Just the whole thought X amount of decoys and the price of those decoys kind of scares me.

J.T.M.F

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya i feel your pain. i really want to try it out and think i would really enjoy it. It just cost so darn much. Heck even to get the correct license and tags. I'm going to give it a shot and hope it works out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom