Puerto Ricans back Statehood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PR statehood will be decided by Congress. The Constitution gives Congress the authority to make the rules and decide to accept or reject statehood. The process has been in play for a very long time. PRs were given full U.S. citizenship in 1917 and voted several times on statehood. PR, like all the other territories, has representatives in Congress and party delegates that take part in the presidential nominating process. They just don't have votes in Congress or electoral votes.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details but I think there were votes in the last 5 years and legislation in Congress that could result in statehood by 2021. The recent vote was part of that process but was, I believe, a nonbinding referendum. That may account for the low voter turnout.

Should PR be admitted? There are certainly arguments for denying statehood, but a long historical connection and no precedent that I know of for rejecting statehood (other than the controversy over Texas) of other territories would make it difficult in my opinion for Congress to reject the request.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PR statehood will be decided by Congress. The Constitution gives Congress the authority to make the rules and decide to accept or reject statehood. The process has been in play for a very long time. PRs were given full U.S. citizenship in 1917 and voted several times on statehood. PR, like all the other territories, has representatives in Congress and party delegates that take part in the presidential nominating process. They just don't have votes in Congress or electoral votes.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details but I think there were votes in the last 5 years and legislation in Congress that could result in statehood by 2021. The recent vote was part of that process but was, I believe, a nonbinding referendum. That may account for the low voter turnout.

Should PR be admitted? There are certainly arguments for denying statehood, but a long historical connection and no precedent that I know of for rejecting statehood (other than the controversy over Texas) of other territories would make it difficult in my opinion for Congress to reject the request.
To keep everyone from having to change songs, buy new flags, sewing in new starts and so on. Can't we just give up California?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
80 % of rednecks have the same issue.

Yeah, but they're usually mixed in with a vast majority who do speak English. They also have an added benefit of already having been in the Union for hundreds of years.

These folks can't speak English , their state is bankrupt and it's full of liberals. 3 electoral votes may not sound like a lot, but these elections are close.2 senators means a lot right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom