Question for Aviation People

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a YouTube video of a beam approach and landing of a HC-130J, but what is of real interest to me is the digital displays of the avionics screens. Is it normal for screens to go dark and then come back in patterns? Why are those like that, and is there a way for a pilot to override the alternating pattern and keep all screens active? None of the screens seemed to change in their displays.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're all digital. They don't go blank. I believe that's just an illusion created by the refresh rate of the instrument screens on the video.

I could be wrong about that.
This. It's a mismatch between the cycling of the LEDs in the displays and the camera's sensor. The human eye can't see the cycling, it only affects digital imaging sensors.

CNET's Cooley On Cars had a good video on this last year; it could have a big impact on autonomous vehicles, as the digital imaging sensors the car uses might not be able to see LED turn signals or traffic lights...

Latest posts

Top Bottom